15

James

Everyone crammed into Airo's study. James was reminded of when they had first gathered there, planning their journey to the temple. It felt like a lifetime ago. Everything had been much different then.

Malakhai's eyes were eternally obsidian. It was strange to see such a dark being in a such a casual setting. Although, James supposed it wasn't entirely casual. Not everyone planned to execute the gods.

Finley and Luisza weren't there. Had they backed out? James could understand why. He himself wished to back out as well. But there were too many things he didn't know.

If he quieted the gods, he wanted to know why.

Malakhai emitted a low growl as he entered the room. Xadya rested a hand over his. He reached for her, twirling a strand of her hair between his fingers.

He strangely resembled the horrendous creature that had stabbed James with an antler all those months ago.

"How exactly are we going to plot against the gods if they know his every move?" James demanded.

He wasn't scared anymore. He was angry.

"They don't," Malakhai said in a low voice. "They employ me for schemes. My choices are my own."

Xadya looked away. It hadn't been like that for her. They very much controlled her, and this was proof Malakhai was stronger than she had been.

"You'll not touch him," she said in a small voice. She looked up at Malakhai with wide eyes, pleading with him.

"The gods won't be happy about it."

She rolled her eyes and shook her head. Xadya didn't care how they felt.

Inessa beckoned James over and he sat with her, the protection spell casting a shimmery barrier over the two of them.

"I've always wanted to be shiny," he muttered, a joke. Airo chuckled.

"Tell us what you know." Xadya's voice was soft, but it was a command all the same.

Malakhai shifted uncomfortably. "I certainly won't be able to kill that one if he silences the gods." He looked at James. "We'll need him."

"What for?" she asked.

"His presence alone will help. If he can get his hands on them, taking them out won't be hard."

"So long as they don't obliterate him first," Airo muttered. "The risk is too great."

"Do you want these beings dead or not?" Malakhai snapped. "Listen. Don't interrupt or I'll become incoherent. It's harder to stay in this form than you might think."

"Sorry," Xadya said softly. He kissed the side of her face.

"In order for us to cause damage to the gods, they need to be physical beings. I'm not going to fight a mental battle with beings that will always win. No, we'll cause them harm. James will keep them weak. Inessa will keep them contained. I will take them down."

His plan seemed awfully simple for orchestrating the deaths of all-powerful beings that had been alive much longer than any of them.

"What about us?" Xadya asked, gesturing to herself and to Airo.

Malakhai smiled down at her. "You're human. You get to watch."

She looked offended.

James guessed it must have been hard sitting next to him, he'd stolen all her power and given her back her worst memories. But they were close, regardless. Shoulders pressed together, his hand in her hair.

"How do we get them here?" Airo asked. He didn't look at all convinced.

Everyone was silent.

"We stage a coup," Inessa realized. James waited for her to continue. "If we create something in the chapel they won't be able to resist, they'll come."

"Such as?" Xadya asked.

"Us," the prophet said. What could she mean?

"Do you think," Inessa continued, "if we presented ourselves as servants of the gods, they would be able to resist a shield, a human, a prophet, and an ex-Arcane?"

Xadya looked pleased not to be included in the human category.

"Not terrible," Malakhai noted. "They're skeptics, though."

"Not for me," Xadya said. "They chose me at birth. They'll want me back, if I can prove myself."

"How might you do that, milaczek?" he asked.

Xadya looked as if she was going to be sick.

"No," James snapped, glaring at her. Whatever she was thinking—James imagined the worst—was not happening.

"Jamie," she whispered, gravely. "I'm not sure there's another way." Everything and everyone was far too quiet as she said, "I'm going to re-Initiate myself."

He could not let her. Xadya would forget everything. Their journey, the betrayal, the gods and their machinations.

Perhaps that was what she wanted. It felt an awful lot like giving up.

"Everyone out. Go to the Below and wait," Malakhai ordered. "Xadezhda and I have much to discuss."

Airo looked bewildered and offended at being removed from his own study, but he went anyway. James lingered a moment but Inessa's spell would falter if she was too far. He had no desire to be god food that morning.

They waited in the hall outside the study. Inessa dropped the spell. The three of them were silent for a long while.

James said, "she's using you."

Inessa sighed. "I'm letting her."

James looked at her.

"All I know is being used. Is it so bad for me to enjoy it this time?"

Airo's eyes widened. He said nothing, although he shook his head as if erasing a mental image.