21

James

Solemn was the only word that would accurately describe the group. They hadn't eaten. Barely slept. And now they gathered in Airo's study, down two, desperately trying to come up with a plan to rescue them.

"What do we know?" Luisza asked. She worried away at her lip, stressed, angry.

"Nothing," Airo said. Defeatist. James rolled his eyes.

"The gods took them somewhere," he said. "That's what we know."

"Where, though?" Luisza asked. "Do they have a realm, or something?"
Airo said, "if we could lure the prophet back, she would know."

"How would we do that?" Luisza wrinkled her nose. "Jump and wave our arms around and hope she sees us in one of her futuristic visions?"

"Ah, the first entry on our list of terrible ideas." Airo plucked out a quill and pretended to write it down.

"I don't hear you coming up with anything better, Your Majesty," Luisza fired back. Airo sent a glare her way.

"Fighting isn't going to help," James cut in. He had to stop this. Snarky commentary from Airo was going to get them nowhere. He didn't say it aloud, but neither were dumb ideas.

Where were Xadya and Malakhai? He had thought being so close with her, he'd at least be able to feel her. Perhaps, though, as the magic of the gods coursed through her veins, that was the reason he could not.

The magic silencer. How useful.

"Let's assume they are in a different realm," James went on. "We have no magic. No means of travel. We need communication."

"Pray," Luisza said quietly.

They stared at her.

"You said it, James. We have no magic. All we can do in hopes to commune with the otherwordly is pray."

"And what, hope they answer?" Airo demanded.

A tight smile formed on Luisza's lips. "Precisely."

To the chapel they went. They got to their knees, each choosing a temple. James picked Yzaos, the bastard. He wasn't sure if the god would even hear him, but he had to try.

He shut his eye. Clasped his hands. Bowed his head.

Nothing. No words came to mind. No connection formed. He was talking to air. To a void.

James cursed. Maybe Airo had been right.

It would seem I have been betrayed.

His eye shot open. No. It couldn't have been.

Ah, well, perhaps I can destroy you from the inside, tiny human.

How are you inside my head right now? James demanded. He was supposed to be immune. Protected.

You have made yourself weak, Yzaos snapped. No matter. I shall kill the prophet and finish it myself.

Where is Xadya?

Yzaos only chuckled, and then he was gone.

"No!" James roared, bringing his fists down on the temple. The stone did not crack. A pebble bounced insultingly down the steps. "They have her. They have Xadya."

"They probably have Malakhai too, then," Luisza said, getting to her feet. The others stood as well.

James felt... different. He turned his neck, flexed his fingers. He was not alone anymore. Was James strong enough to hold the god off until he got the answers he needed?

He had to be. This was an opening. If he could stay alive and keep Yzaos around long enough to get answers out of him... maybe Xadezhda could he saved.

James locked eyes with Airo. "Library," he ordered.

"We've read every book that even mentions the word god," Airo protested.

"Well, let's read them again."