Chapter Two

1976

The kids were lined up on the wall in an orderly fashion, starting from 1 through 17.

"Today we will be playing a little game of chess. The rules are easy, you can't pick up the pieces with your hands you must use your mind." Dr. Brenner had announced as he put his two fingers on his temple, "Get into partners."

All the kids had gotten their partners rather quickly, except for Six she was standing all alone, nobody wanted to be partners with such a weakling, she was told many times before by the other kids.

"Six your with me," a familiar hand landed on Six's shoulder, she had looked up to smiling Dr. Brenner.

He had taken her out of the room full of kids that seemed to stair with jealousy as they left, everyone wanted to be with Papa.
Dr. Brenner placed her in his own lab. There was a chessboard laid out on the table, Six ran over to the black side of the board.

"Hey, that's my side!" Dr. Brenner walked over to where Six was standing.

"Not anymore," Six teased as she sat in the chair.

"Fine you can have that side but next time I call it," he said while seating himself across from Six.

He made the first move, moving the pawn, simple move, now it's hers. She had been staring at the rook trying her best to lift it using her mind, it had been a minute or two before the rook eventually slid over.

"Well played," he looked at her

They have been playing for an hour and a half before the chess board had flew across the room running into the white wall breaking the board in the action as well as leaving a hole in the wall.

"Sorry..." Six mumbled looking at her hands.

Dr. Brenner didn't say anything he just laughed and got up and picked the remaining pieces of the chessboard.

"Don't be sorry, it happens often."

"It does?" she raised a brow at him

"No, not really but it's an improvement," he reassured her

"Why do you even still try on me, Papa? I'm useless." she kept looking at her hands

"Don't say that," he stood in front of her before he kneeled down and he lightly grabbed her face making her stare into his eyes, "You're not useless," he assured her firmly.

They stayed looking at one other until there was a knock on the door, making them both flinch.

"Yes?" Dr. Brenner got up and opened the door, and there Peter stood.

"The children finished," he kept on staring at Six sitting across from the broken chess board, "Is she done?"

"N-no I mean yes," Dr. Brenner stuttered as he looked Six's way.

"Do you want me to take her to the rainbow room?" Peter asked looking at her

"If you are going that way then yes."

Six had gotten up from her chair, walking in between the two men who stood by doorway.

Peter and Six started heading to the rainbow room as Six looked behind her to give Papa one more smile, but he didn't smile back, his brows were furrowed and his arms were crossed. He looked mad. Leaving Six confused, just a moment ago he looked so happy and now he's angry.

"So how was the lesson?" Peter questioned making Six look away from Dr. Brenner's frame.

"It was... fine"

"I saw the broken chessboard on the ground. So how was it really?"

"I just can't control myself," Six shrugged

"Was Papa angry?" Peter looked at Six concerned

"No."

"Odd, he must have a fondness for you."

"He has a fondness for everyone. There are no such things as favorites, as you guys like to say."

They had reached the rainbow room doors.

"I never said you were his favorite," Peter said opening the door, letting Six in.

"Wait, then who's his favorite?" she turned to the door slamming in her face, leaving her curious.