3.5

In the midst of the boiling flames, the word "Justice" flickered on the back of her coat

In the midst of the boiling flames, the word "Justice" flickered on the back of her coat. Once I'd made sure that Isuka had the children out and safe, I grinned to myself. Now Ace can move again.

"What... do you think... you're doing?" Dorrow was furious. He rammed a knee into my stomach.

"Urgh!"

Once, twice, three times ... but I still held tight to him.

"Let go of me!"

He gave one more particularly hard blow, and I collapsed, spitting up stomach acid. It felt like my insides had been mashed into a blob. I could hardly breathe. The heat coming off of the flamethrowers only made the pain worse. But I'd done my job. Through the agony and gagging, I smiled.

"I pulled... 'em out... sucker..."

"Huh? Pulled what-" Dorrow started, glaring down at me. Then he noticed something was wrong. "My fuel tanks?!"

The tubes attaching the flamethrowers to the fuel tanks at his sides were disconnected. The liquid was now seeping out and covering his clothes.

I hadn't just been clinging on for dear life. I had grabbed the tubes supplying his weapon with power and wrenched them free. Without any fuel to shoot through the flamethowers...

"Tsk!"

Dorrow clicked his tongue. The Jets of flame from his weapons were rapidly weakening . And even worse for him, another fire was pushing back the stream, getting closer and closer.

It was Ace.

Ace's fist slammed into Dorrow's face. Blazing fire enveloped his head.

"Aaagh!"

"Hang in there, Deuce!" he said, helping me up.

But a moment later, his body was floating off the ground. Dorrow had a hand around Ace's neck and was lifting him up. He swept aside the flame as though batting away a fly. He was perfectly unharmed.

"Ace!"

The punch had landed. Bur Darrow smiled it off, totally unaffected. And strangely, although Ace had turned into flames right then, the man continued to grip him around the neck anyway.

"Is this...Haki...t' Ace said, grimacing.

Haki.

I'd heard that word-it was the name of a subconscious power within people, which could be drawn upon after long, arduous training. Many of the mightiest members of the Navy could wield the power of Haki. Especially strong Haki would easily overpower the abilities of a Devil Fruit. For example... by making one capable of grabbing fire with their bare hands.

"Fire Fist Ace...do not trifle with me. Your cheap little flames cannot stop me. Pirates like you are a dime a dozen in the New World." He lifted Ace by the neck, his grip as strong as a vise. Ace struggled and his limbs flopped.