A Sleepy Morning

An annoying gull squawked noisily, jerking Marinette awake.

Marinette didn't remember falling asleep. True to her word, instead of sleeping, she and Adrien had spent hours talking about childhood memories, looking at the ocean, and cuddling Hugo as they lay in bed.

She forced her dry, tired eyes to open. The sheets in front of her were empty; Adrien must have already gotten up with Hugo. Pulling the covers over her body, Marinette snuggled into the bed. She tried to will herself back into sleep, but memories of the previous day flooded her mind.

Memories of Adrien's excited smile as he ran through the house, showing Hugo the places he used to play. Memories of his laugh as they played with Hugo on the beach. Memories of his arms as he held her while they danced. Memories of his soft lips as they posed for the camera.

Memories of his tears as he cried, exposing the rawness of his grief.

Marinette swallowed as she grabbed a pillow and hugged it to her chest. Adrien trusted her. He truly trusted her. Adrien had shown her a side of himself that was fragile and broken. And yet, he was never more beautiful in her eyes. True, he didn't see her as anything other than a friend, but that meant so much to him. Marinette was important to him. Even that thought filled her with an indescribable joy.

"I see that smile," Tikki peaked over the side of the bed. "You're in a good mood this morning."

"Hide, Tikki," Marinette warned. "You shouldn't be out."

"Adrien and Hugo already went downstairs, if you're worried about your husband, I mean, friend seeing me."

Marinette giggled shyly, hiding her face in the pillow.

"You can't hide from me, Marinette." Tikki chirped, landing on her pillow. "And Adrien was just as happy as you were, pretending to be a couple last night."

"Everyone thought we were a family," Marinette peaked her face out from her pillow. "It just seemed easier to play along."

"Mmhmm." Tikki looked unconvinced. "You two were pretty close last night, and there wasn't anyone watching."

"Yeah." Marinette hugged the pillow again. "I'm a really important friend to him. He trusts me."

"I'd say you're a little more than a friend." Tikki teased. "I saw him try to kiss you."

Marinette smiled at the memory, bringing her fingers to her lips. Would it have felt the same as their kiss on the cliff? "He said he just got carried away."

"People who are in love often get 'carried away'."

Suddenly, Marinette heard someone coming up the stairs. With a wink, Tikki flew into her purse. Soon, there was a soft knock on the door.

"Come in!" she called.

The door slowly opened, and Adrien stood in the doorway. Still shirtless and in his pajama bottoms, he stood with one arm behind his back and a cheeky smile on his face. He met Marinette's eyes but made no effort to enter the room.

"What's that behind your back?" Marinette finally asked.

"Close your eyes." Adrien bounced on his heels.

Marinette eyed him suspiciously. Then, she obediently lowered her eyelids. The floorboards creaked as he walked toward her. Soon, Marinette smelled a light floral fragrance. She opened her eyes to a sloppy bouquet of roses, wildflowers, and weeds in a simple glass jar.

Marinette couldn't help but giggle. "They're beautiful."

"Hugo told me you needed flowers."

"Oh, did he?"