Ch. 4: Nowhere But Down

October 19, 2013; 11:23 p.m.

Christian

Christian

"What the fuck is wrong with you man? Who beats on women like that?" I punched him in the face again and shook him. "Answer me!"

Niyah's father started coughing up blood and holding on to his chest, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry?" I pointed the gun to his head again, "If any of them are dead, a sorry won't bring them back."

"Look, calm down."

"Calm down? My girlfriend is freaking unconscious and her whole family too." I hit him in the face with the gun and more blood came gushing out.

"FREEZE!" I heard someone yell behind me and I actually froze up. "Put the gun down and put your hands where we can see them!"

I turned around and saw a female police officer, pointing her automatic at me.

I sighed and sat my handgun on the kitchen counter and raised my hands in the air. Other police officers started coming in, and even though I saved this family's life, I could tell I ruined my own.

A male officer came up behind me, putting my hands behind my back, and cuffs on my wrist. "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have a right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you."

"Officer, I ain't even do nothin'! I was helping them!" I tried to plead, but the officer ignored me and roughly pulled me outside, putting me in the back of his police car.

Three ambulances pulled up behind the car and went into the house, I looked away after that. I couldn't stand to see Niyah get carried out on a stretcher. That's gonna make me feel like imma lose her for good.

The officer came back to the car and closed his door.

"Officer, you gotta believe me! I ain't the bad guy! I was goin' to my girlfriend.." I keep calling her my girlfriend. "My ex-girlfriend's house and her, her mother, and sister was layin' on the ground, I ruffed up their dad a lil bit and that's it."

"Is she your ex-girlfriend because she might be dead?" He asked and smirked after he saw the shock on my face. "Alright kid, I'm just messing with you. But honestly, I don't give a rat's ass about what happened, I'll tell the interrogators what you're saying, but I can't just let you go."

I sighed loudly and looked out the window as we went by Jadon's house, the party still goin' on. On the ride to the station I thought about the gun I had that I took from my father's safe. I thought about how bad he was gonna beat my ass for even having it on me. I thought about if Niyah would forgive me even after saving her family's life. And how everything escalated so quickly tonight. Finally pulling up to the jail, I thought about how I would sleep tonight in a cell.