Chapter 1

"And you were arrested."

"But I didn't technically go to jail since I won't be 18 until March."

"That may be true, Miss Emory, but that does not mean you will not go unpunished. Nor will Mr. Calloway." Principal Hendricks was obviously tired and irritated, but I still thought he was pretty cool.

"Is this going on my permanent record?"

"Fortunately you were in a public beach, so no one in the vicinity pressed charges, and since you've never done anything near this bad before. So no. It will not."

I almost collapsed in relief.

"But you will be punished here, because of you're position on the volleyball team. Community service hours at the tutor center for at least the first semester of school this year." That's not so bad.

"Now, Mr. Calloway. Is there a reason for you confessing for daring her to do it?"

"Yes sir. We were playing some innocent truth or dare," he smirked, "and I dared her to set off some fire works. So I take responsibility for that, and to be honest, I didn't think she would actually do it." He outright laughed at that.

"And your fireworks were legal?"

"Of course. What kind of guy do you think I am? I may be pretty stupid, but I'm not that stupid." I snorted. So attractive.

"Well Mr. Calloway, since technically you didn't actually do anything, I can't really punish you. But I can make you drown in homework, because I have that power." Hendricks smirked at us. "So here's what I'll do. Sterling, for your tutoring hours, you will tutor Rider." Oh hell no.

"Hell no!" Rider yells.

"Rider, you are aware that you're failing Calculus and AP Anatomy?" What the hell?

"What?" I'm both surprised and pissed off. "You're in those classes? I'm in those classes. You do know that AP means advanced placement right?"

"Sterling, I'm not some stupid jock. I do know some things."

"Then why do you need tutoring?"

"Because although I am smart, I'm not smart enough to be passing right now. First football game was Friday. Kind of busy." He rolls his eyes.

I turn to the principal. "I don't exactly have no life. Volleyball is everyday except Friday and Weekends. And that's not even guaranteed."

"Well Sterling and Rider, looks like you guys will have busy weekends with each other. Now. Rider, you're punishment just because that was a stupid dare in the first place, is that you have to be on homecoming committee, with Sterling as your supervisor." Damn. I was only doing the committee because Brooklyn and Cali wanted me to.

"Are you shitting me?" Rider says.

"You wanna add prom committee? I bet that will piss Sterling off. She has to be your supervisor." Hendricks looks at the both of us.

I turn to Rider and give him my sweetest smile. "Rider?"

Rider looks at me almost pleasantly surprised. "Yes Sterling?"

"Will you shut the hell up? I really don't want to waste anymore of my time with you than I already have to."

Rider turns back with a look of shock and embarrassment on his face. I look at Hendricks, and he is looking between me and Rider, chuckling.

"Now that that's settled, get your asses back to class. Sterling, good luck tonight against Eastwood. Rider, good luck Friday against Clearwater. Now out." The principal shoos is out of his office, laughing.

"Yes sir." We say in unison.

"Good luck tonight Sterling. I may be there."

"Thanks. Don't worry. I won't be looking for you. You and I kith know you're only going because Kayla is cheering." I roll my eyes.

"Well. She's pissed at me. So no. I'm not going for her. I'm going because it's a school event and I should be there anyway. Besides, we won't be together long. I'm waiting in her to dump me. She been cheating for a few weeks, and I just don't care enough to call her out. I'll just let her do it." He just kind of shakes his head. "I'll see you later Sterling."

And I'm left in the hallway looking like an idiot, and feeling like a jerk.

Author's note: Picture is who I cast as Rider. (: