9. ON AGAIN, OFF AGAIN

Sing by Ed Sheeran

"I told her my name and said, 'It's nice to meet ya.' Then she handed me a bottle of water with tequila: I already know she's a keeper. Just from this one small act of kindness, I'm in deep shit if anybody finds out; I'm meant to drive home but I've drunk all of it now. Not sobering up, we just sit on the couch. One thing led to another; now she's kissing my mouth."

~~~

Driving home from the hospital a day later, she is still a bit stunned, as is to be expected.

I have cancer. Why the hell do I have cancer?

All paparazzi have been banned from the hospital's property, so the second she exits the parking lot in his Caddy, Allison slides down in her seat, shades on, hoping to avoid getting recognized. It doesn't work.

~~~

In between chemo treatments, in order to have a little fun with the media, she pretends to pack her things up and storms out of his house one night.

Of course, tons of paparazzi are capturing photos of her in her deep blue Toyota Camry, driving away, but within a week, she brings her stuff back, laughing, glad to trick the media and glad to see him again.

One night, after pulling the shades closed, she snuggles up to him on his couch to watch 127 Hours for the five-millionth time, or so he says. She falls in love with him more and more each time they watch it.

Turning on the television to change the input to BLU-RAY, he pauses at her name being mentioned on E! News.

"Take a look at this, Dave. We're focusing on the ever-charming James Franco and his on-again, off-again lover, Allison Bradshaw."

They show a couple of photos of she and him- courtesy LA paparazzi- in his bright red Cadillac convertible before Dave speaks up.

"Interesting, Bryan. If I remember correctly, didn't she storm off like that about three years ago, right before her career took off?"

"I thought so, too, Dave. Jen, can we bring up the footage of her first storm-off?" He asks someone off-screen.

Promptly, the 20-second video plays and Allison cringes at the memory.

"You were really mad, weren't you?"
James's voice rings out flatly.

"I wasn't mad, just a bit..." She trails off, not wanting to admit the truth.

"Jealous?"

"Yeah. Jealous."

"Of who? Her?" He watches her carefully. "I'm sorry I did that."

"Don't even bring it up. Just play the movie. I'm sick of listening to these two dumbasses anyway."

He leans in and leaves a sweet kiss on her earlobe through her messy blonde curls. "Thanks," he whispers.

She slowly begins to doze off, right at the part where his character has to cut his arm off.

Later, she's awakened by him gently lifting her body, sore and sweaty from being scrunched up in a fetal position under a flannel blanket for two and a half hours. He carries her up to their room, tiptoeing up the wooden staircase in grey-toed socks, blue plaid pants, dark whipped cream hair, and a white t-shirt.

She feels the soft mattress beneath her and his grey comforter falls on top of the sheets. Leaning down, he kisses her forehead, leaving it slightly wet. He stands up, then gropes around the bedroom, trying to find his way to his side, since he'd left the lights out so as not to disturb her.

"Love you," she whispers, her eyes shutting once more.

No reply comes.

~~~

She awakens the next morning to the sound and smell of fresh coffee being made, but other than that, the house is uncomfortably quiet.

She sits up and looks around, curls going every direction imaginable. She notices that James is gone, his side of the bed neatly made. Slipping into her thick red bathrobe, she ties it and heads downstairs.

"Morning, sweetie. You sleep well?" Lana asks, sounding unusually excited.

She gets out Allison's black coffee mug- one that has a grey cat face on it- and pours black coffee into it. Allison manages to stop her from pouring in Lana's regular ten packs of Sweet-n-Low sweetener into it.

"Where's James?" Allison asks, pouring a coconut-flavored creamer into the mug.

"He, uh, he went out. Said he had some, uh, shopping to do."

She takes note of the brunette's fidgety movements. "You okay?"

"Sure, sure. Just haven't had my coffee yet, you know?

Allison decides to get out. "Yeah. I'm going back upstairs now." Her thin eyebrows come together as she gives Lana an I'm very weirded out right now, so please don't bother me look.

~~~

An hour later, she hears the front door of the grand pueblo-style house open and the sound of jangling car keys and a paper bag also reach her ears. Stepping lightly down each stair, she sees James, smiling widely.

"What's going on?" She asks. "You didn't tell me you were going to leave and Lana's been acting weird all morning."

The bag he carries is small and has a blue logo printed on it. However, she can't tell what the logo is since his Starbucks-clutching hand is covering most of it. Starbucks is his favorite place to go in the morning.

"Sorry I didn't tell you I was leaving. You were sleeping and I didn't want to wake you up. You looked so peaceful."

"Thanks. What's that?" You walk up to him and throw your arms around his neck, looking into his eyes, seeking an answer.

"Something," he replies slyly. His brown eyes glisten playfully as if there's a little kid hiding in them.

"Care to tell me?" A mischievous grin crosses her face briefly.

"Nope. Not right now, at least." He winks and she lets go of his neck.

"I know that look."

"Huh?"

"You're up to something, James."

~~~

Don't forget to vote and comment!