The Grim Butcher (Part 2)

Ramirez introduced himself to Tom while the detectives had a look at what the field officer brought them: Jennifer's backpack. After rifling around inside and finding many knick-knacks, they discovered her phone.

"Great, her cellphone. It holds a teenager's entire life, isn't that what they say?" Jones grinned, holding the pink phone.

"Best send that off to Alex. While he looks at it, let's return the backpack to Mrs Carter."

Ramirez offered to send the phone off to Alex, but to his surprise, Tom joined him. Looking at Payne for permission, she gave them both a thumbs up.

"Just tell Alex that if there's anything on that phone that a 10-year-old boy shouldn't see, I'll KILL him if Tom gets a look," the mother said.

Tom winced at the comment, thanked the sergeants, and left with Ramirez to see Alex.

After the officer and child left the room, a woman walked in. She was a little shorter than Jones, with hair the same colour as Thompson's, though Vanessa's hair was short and straight. The woman was wearing a black cardigan over a grey shirt, and had pearl earrings. Her blue eyes were glossy with unshed tears welling up.

As soon as the two mothers locked eyes, Vanessa burst into tears and Payne's hands trembled.

"My baby's dead! I still can't belie... believe that something like this would... would happen!" she sobbed.

"Mrs Carter, my sincerest apologies on behalf of my family," Payne sighed, knowing that the news saddened her aunt, and that her uncle and Alessia would also shed a few tears. Tom had shed many, and she knew that after the case was over, she'd need a few moments to get rid of all of her own tears.

"Jennifer was a great young woman, and we will do whatever it takes to solve this. Do you have any idea on who could've done such a thing?"

With that, Vanessa's tears turned from sad ones to angry ones, "Oh, I know! I told her! I told Jenny not to go to see those filthy hoboes! Deviants, murderers, the lot of them! She was seeing a boy in that camp, I knew it. Now look! She's dead, and her sister, father, and I have to pick up the pieces that she left behind..."

"We understand, Mrs. Carter," Jones said as gently as he could, "Meanwhile, Detective Payne and I need to look at your house, if that's alright with you?"

The blonde nodded, and the three of them plus Polaris headed for her home in the poshest area of the Industrial Area, nearing the Financial District, otherwise known as Fairview. Entering her house, Vanessa slumped onto her sofa, getting a cigarette out. Noticing, Payne quickly pulled Jones into the kitchen to avoid the smell. Too late, however. Polaris started whining.

"Ugh, I wish Mrs. Carter wouldn't chain-smoke like that. It makes my eyes water..." Jones complained.

"Hm, I hate that smell. Now, let's ignore the suffering of our lungs and search for anything of interest."

The kitchen was messy, but a family of four suddenly becoming a family of three would make most people not care about the cleanliness of their kitchen. It felt homely, more so than the sleek minimalist counters at Payne's own home. The Brit quickly noticed a familiar drawing on the side. A drawing that Tom made of him and his late babysitter. A friend that he could never see again.

"She kept it. Safe in her diary," she muttered, then looked at the next page, "This sheet of paper, however... I'm seeing one of her own drawings on it, but it's torn to shreds. Jones, pass me the tape, please."

"Ah, teenage angst. I can imagine that you had a lot, huh, partner? I had a good amount... And Jennifer seemed to have so much that she'd tear her diary up! But that's an easy fix for you, right, Payne?"