Chapter 7

As I stumbled through the maze of corridors, the sound of my own footsteps echoed around me. Finally, I came to a halt at the archives room. But as I opened the third door, I was met with a bigger, darker, and more humid corridor. I took my first steps into the murky abyss, but the water caught the beam of my flashlight and distorted the light.

Zack, what have you done? 

   As I pressed on, my eyes slowly adjusted to the murky environment. The corridor led to a bridge with two murky waste water tanks on either side and a single exit at the end. But then, the sound of laughter echoed around me, growing more and more intense.

- Who's there? - I called out, my voice echoing back to me.

   A small figure, wearing a coconut mask, emerged from the archive room door, casting a flickering shadow.

- Who are you? - I asked again, backing up as the figure approached.

- Do you not remember me, Mahina-san? - the shadowy figure asked in a childlike voice. - I helped you when you came here a few days ago.

- I presume that you were the one who took my letter; if so, thank you - I said, my tone guarded.

- That was an addition to the deal we made - the figure replied cryptically. - An agreement that you have yet to fulfill.

Deal? Which agreement was that? 

- Of course, nothing in this world is free. So, what do I owe you? - I questioned, backing up as he neared.

- I'll remind you, Mahina-chan. - he said through chuckles, his voice echoing off the walls of the dank hallway. - Our contract was that you'd pass through my floor without incident if you returned here, and I could provide you with a shrine to rest in. Unfortunately, troglodyte Zack had to destroy it, so I have chosen another perfect spot for you.

I blinked, trying to make sense of what he was saying. 

- Wait a minute - I said, taking a step back. - You want me to go to a grave?

- That was our agreement, Mahina-chan - he said, the grin audible in his voice.

My heart raced as I tried to think of a way out of this situation. 

What kind of nonsense is that? I would never, ever agree to that!

The little person's expression darkened, and his laughter turned to a menacing growl. 

- You made a deal, and you will fulfill it -  he said, taking a step forward.

   I backed away, feeling the damp walls pressing in on me. I had to find a way out of this, but it seemed that my options were dwindling by the second.

   As my eyes locked onto the boy in front of me, my thoughts raced. In this place, I had always been cautious, knowing that danger lurked in every shadow. But as the boy stood before me, his small form barely visible in the dim light, I felt a sense of confidence well up within me.

   My fortune had improved, it seemed, as Zack had stumbled upon an alternate entrance to this section of the archives. I had underestimated him, assuming that he would be unable to navigate the labyrinthine corridors that made up this vast network of rooms and passages. But now, as he stood behind the wall, I realized that I had been wrong.

- Zack! - I called out, my voice ringing out with confidence and defiance.

The boy chuckled softly, turning to face me with a mischievous glint in his eye.

- It's saddening to see someone self-sufficient living under the protection of someone they've always protected - he said, his voice laced with amusement. - Everyone here is gradually disrespecting your reputation, so I might as well get it over with as soon as possible, don't you think? In order to preserve what little dignity you still possess!