Chapter 1 - How Profound

Vin-dima's pov

Spires of illuminated concrete towers stand in intimate rows and packed sectors like overgrown trees in a densely packed forest. Streams of mute-coloured vehicles flow in thin parades of regulated chaos amid the building-filled airways.

"It reminds me of home, in a more jagged, civilised sort of way," Vin-Shi steps out onto the balcony with a deep, thoughtful sigh, "as if this is the epicentre for all of the Republic's ways."

"This place is too powerful," I hum, absently watching a transmitter pod navigate through the sprawl of other transports.

"Perhaps that's what makes it so beautiful, sister," she responds quietly, twisting a fallen leaf from a Bashlyk plant, "I still don't understand why you decided to live here though: in the depths of the private-rent district with no more than a single bed, beaten-up kitchen-"

"The temple never felt like home," I interject, knowing that this conversation will cycle through the same path as it always does, "And I need a place to 'disconnect' from the Jedi way of life."

"Isn't the whole point of your job to be fully immersed in ever aspect of it," Shi jokes light-heartedly.

"It's isn't just a job; it is a way of life," I counter, the sabre on my belt growing heavier by the moment. Shifting it uncomfortably, the cool metal begins to sear my touch, "but everything we do revolves around oneness and yet such utter selflessness."

"So you coop yourself up here with only your Space Waffles and R6 for company," she laughs, the protesting squeal of my droid echoing through the open balcony doors, "that feels more like self-absorption than 'oneness'."

"Sometimes I wonder why I still talk to you anymore," I smile humorously, sipping at my berry tea lightly before I continue, "but I think it's the fact I'm among those whom I swore to protect which brings me the most 'oneness'. Not being 'cooped up' in the Jedi Temple."

"Well, I think hustling the galactic trade routes is a much more satisfying line of work," she counters with a smirk, "nothing but fair deals, high revenue, luxury travel-"

"-an undercover spice trade-"

"-and multicoloured skies above," she interrupts my sudden addition with an irritated tut, "you can't say you're not jealous of my apartment."

"With the neighbours you have: not a chance," I laugh, downing the rest of my drink with a smile on my lips.

"Mom isn't that bad," she stresses.

"That's not what you say when she's having the sixth blowout party of the month and invites her guests to your door for an after party," I argue back light-heartedly.

"But Catonica is fun," Shi counters, a joking whine in her voice.

"But life isn't just meant to be fun, it's meant to be fulfilling and worthwhile," I lean up against the railing, the cool nip of the south-westerly jet stream billowing up the east-west bisect, "you need to touch the worlds around you; the people around you."

"Forget being a Jedi, you should've become a poet-"

"Oh, shut it, Shi," I swat her arm lightly, our laughs immediately being lost in the turbulent winds of Coruscant, "But seriously, why are you here?"

She stumbles over her words awkwardly, fiddling with her chain bracelet, "...We need you back on Cantonica."

"Who's 'we'? You and Mom?" I pry, hanging my head in confliction, "Or father?"

When she nods at the latter, she follows it up quickly after my despairing reaction, "He needs to seal a business deal, and without you they won't: they need to see that their customer isn't lying about something as substantial as having a Jedi daughter."