Baba's Soulmate: 1

"Good evening, guys. I think you all are doing good by Baba's blessings. Well, I didn't know how to start this. But if you ask about one thing which defines Baba, I say that it's Aloo Bajji.

Yes! Heard it right. Aloo Bajji was Baba's soulmate.

Baba was so crazily in love with Aloo Bajji. It was so intense that it even made Ma jealous. Aloo Bajji was his first love, even before he met Ma. It started eighty years ago. While he was six.

Baba used to tell me that it all started when he tasted my Dadi's homemade Aloo Bajji for the first time, on his sister's first birthday. And since then, he was eternally in love with it.

Aloo Bajji was a huge part of his life. It was with him when Dada kicked him out of his house and also when Baba met Ma for the first time in IIM-C. It was with him when Ma fought with Baba at their Uni, and it was with him when he was cherishing my birth.

I remember Ma telling me that Aloo Bajji saved their romance. Give him a plate of Aloo Bajji, and he is all yours. And that was the best strategy I ever learnt. Aloo Bajji and a heart-melting message is more than enough to convince Baba.

There were also a few moments where Baba was obsessed with Aloo Bajji. Six years ago, when I introduced Jenny as my girlfriend from Kerala, Ma was the one who heavily disapproved of our relationship. But I still remember what Baba had done.

He, who was resting on the bed, gestured at Jenny to come and sit next to him. She hesitantly strolled towards him and sat near him in the bed. He patted her head gently, which made me feel elated and shocked Ma to the core.

He then patted her left cheek lightly and asked, "What's your name, dear?"

With a hesitation, she replied, "Jennifer, Babaji."

"Where are you from?" He further asked.

"Trivandrum," she replied shyly.

"Kerala, right?"

"Yes, Babaji."

"Hmmm! Jenny. I believe that Gourov had brought the right girl for him. And for the family. But, if you need my nod, just answer one question," he said, with a smile in his toothless mouth.

"What is it, uncle?" She asked with a baffled look.

"Do you know how to make Aloo Bajji?" He asked, chuckling lightly.

I, who witnessed all this, didn't know how to react. I didn't know whether to laugh at his childishness or to thank for waving a green flag. Because I knew that Jenny knows how to make delicious Aloo Bajji, all thanks to me.

I ran towards Baba and hugged him tight, while he whispered, "Don't worry about Ma. I can take care of her. But, as a fee, make sure that your girl makes me Aloo Bajji often."

Jenny, who heard this, laughed along with me, forgetting that Ma was there. And the next moment, Ma called Jenny and hugged her tight. Please note that Baba had spoken his heart out after years of bed rest that day.

Even though it has been eight decades, Baba never forgot to love Aloo Bajji more. He used to ask Ma to make Aloo Bajji at least twice in a week and then start the banter between Ma and Baba. But he was always least bothered about it. He would at least make one for himself and eat by himself. Sometimes it would be myself and him.

One such day, when I asked him why he was so obsessed with Aloo Bajji, he just told me one thing with a smile.

"Beta. George Bernard Shaw once said: 'There is no love more sincere than the love of food.' And I am someone who firmly believes it."

I didn't know if I would get the meaning behind this when someone else said that. But when Baba said this that day, that quote was so glued to my heart and refused to leave.

I had many memories of Baba, but Aloo Bajji was the best memory of him.

It has been two year since he left us. But my memories of Baba as an Aloo Bajji lover had refused to leave me.

And now, I realize that Baba's memories live in this world as long as Aloo Bajji lives.

May his soul rest in peace. Thank you!"

I handed over the mic to Saurabh Bhai and was finally done giving my speech for Baba's second year death anniversary. Tears already peeked out my eyes while giving the speech. Every single word about him meant a lot to me. I never realized what he was to me when he was alive. But now I do, when he was no more. I ran to my room to give myself a space to cry my heart out, and closed my door softly, making sure that nobody is disturbed.

I sat on the bed and closed my face with my palm, crying loud. I tried controlling my emotions but couldn't. So I decided to lash them out.

Few moments later, I heard the door open and wiped my tears. As I looked up, I saw Jenny with a snack plate.

She looked at me astounded and took slow steps towards me, after closing the door. She sat next to me, while I saw that it was Aloo Bajji.

"Gourov. Are you okay?" She asked.

"No, Jenny," I resumed crying and hugged her, while she placed the plate next to her. She didn't utter a word, but was patting my head and running her hand through my hair.

As I was done crying, Jenny broke the hug and allowed me to compose myself.

"Are you done now?" She asked, while I hummed in response. "Listen, Gourov. I know how much you miss Babaji. But still, how long will you cry on like this? Baba will definitely be watching you. Will he be happy if you cry? Will his soul rest in peace if you are depressed? It's just his body which has left. But he will always be seeing us. If we remain happy, he will be happy and his soul will rest."

I remained mum, listening to her. Her message seemed soothing to me.

"Now. Have this Aloo Bajji. Let him be happier," Jenny said, giving me a sole Aloo Bajji.

I accepted it and munched on it. In that one munch, my whole memories with Baba came in front of me. Maybe what he had said that day was right. There is no love more sincere than the love of food.

***

I still don't know how good was this. But my aim was to write something heartwarming. And I didn't know how heartwarming was it to you guys. Hope you all enjoyed Gourov narrating Baba's affair with Aloo Bajji. Now, it's time for glossary.

1) Baba: Father
2) Ma: Mother
3) Dadi: Paternal grandmother
4) Dada: Paternal grandfather
5) Beta: Son

Thanks for reading, guys! Have some Aloo Bajjis, guys.

Word count: 1107 words