A Locker Full of Love: 1

I never imagined that a locker-sharing program could bring me heartbreak. Why my locker-mate is my crush has been the question all this time. The summer break, my crush decided to answer it themselves...

***

The roasted cocoa beans' aroma, delicious coffee, and its warm environment at Anna's Coffee was something that made me feel at home. That was the moment I was waiting ever since that summer break.

I was with my classmate Jerry, admiring the heaven-in-disguise. Favorite friend at favorite place. But that was not completely my plan. Inviting my locker-mate Cupid was my first plan. Forget my favorite friend, he was the only guy I swooned over at my school. Yes, there were guys cuter than him. But for me, nobody is cuter than Cupid.

But as Cupid refused to come along with me, I invited Jerry, who agreed to come with me.

***

I heartily had a cup of Latte, along with chocolate croissants. As I paid the money and was about to leave the place, I heard someone calling me.

"Lora?" It was a feminine voice from the cash counter. As I looked back, I saw the young cashier looking at me. It must be that girl, I thought and as I went towards her, she continued, "Well, a guy came yesterday morning, and asked me to give this to you when you come," and gave her a paper. It was a letter written on an A4 sheet.

"Me?" I asked curiously.

"Yes."

"O... Kay," I said and took the paper from her, hesitantly. I looked at Jerry and said, "Jerry, you go home first. I'll join you at the park."

And Jerry said, "Sure, Lora! See you," and left the café, while I took one of the tables there, composing myself and getting ready to read.

***

Hey, Lora!

How is your vacation going? Great, isn't it? Well, don't ask about mine. It's been a terrible phase of my life ever since I came to NYC. My folks were right. We could never survive here for long. I thought that I could fit in in this place, but your friends proved me wrong. I literally enjoyed nothing in your school, because of my every aspect as a Mexican. In fact, I suffered a lot. A lot of bullies and teases, your friends and your seniors tortured me to death.

In all this darkness in my life, I found a ray of hope, which is you. The moment we crossed paths, everything changed for good. At times, you stood for me and spoke up for me. I started believing that only you can make me feel better than anything.

Still, life could and would never be the same. I could no longer live here, and I already had enough. Living as an outcast, life is not easy at all, you know? So I decided to leave forever. No more bullies, no more discomfort.

But, to be brutally honest, I can't say that I will be leaving this place happily. It's not that I'll be missing nobody. I will. I will miss you a lot, Lora. I will definitely miss those days we spent together, those moments we laughed together, cared for each other, standing up for each other, and every nanosecond I spent with you.

And now, I remember your frequently asked question. You used to ask with that whiny tone, right? That's why I chose you as my locker-mate. I used to lie that I don't have any specific reasons, but literally, I have three.

1. You're my one and only companion in NYC.

2. I can't assure the safety of my belongings if someone else was my locker-mate. Thanks to Miss. Maddison for choosing the locker-mate up to our choice.