Chapter 8

The kitchen was working hard, a new meal was brought through the back gates to aid the outpost. You were assigned to help in cooking by request of Venable, you were handling her dish. Everyone was getting a stew, but you chose to do something else with the meat. "We got brisket, you're using the... Beef tenderloin? Venable is getting a treat, how are you going to cook it?" A girl spoke up, watching you cut the meat into two Filet Mignons. The rest would be minced to a paté for later.

Everyone was working hard to cut the brisket into small cubes, braising the meat with all sorts of herbs and vegetables. Searing the meat beautifully, you basted the meat in butter with a couple cloves of crushed garlic and a couple sprigs of rosemary.

Removing the meat, you had it rest as you scraped up the small amount of fond in the pan. You added crushed peppercorns and a small amount of cognac.

You were the last to make it to the table as you were carefully plating Venable's meal. You brought it out, noticing Stu was not at the table. Everyone was shown their breakfast, Venable chose to wait. A beautiful beef brisket stew, to which you had help in garnishing. You lifted the cover to Venable's meal, everyone gasping at the dish. Her paté was in her office as a treat for the wolf inside.

"Did you make that?" Gallant asked you quietly, watching Ms. Venable take a bite of the perfectly medium rare steak. "I did. I wanted her to have something nice." You explained, smiling.

Oh God, it's so good! Don't wag your tail! Venable thought to herself, holding back the urge to sloppily eat the meal. It was rich, decadent, delectable... It's perfect. Stu did satiate the wolf for now, but it was her time to eat. "What do you think, Ms. Venable?" You questioned, a happy groan escaping her as she went to take another bite. "I'll take that as good." It's more than just good!

"Where's Stu?" Someone asked, looking around. Dinah looked at her stew, gently pushing it away. "He escaped during the delivery." You spoke up, covering for Venable. She nodded, glancing up. "What meat is this?" Someone asked. "It's chicken." Ms. Mead spoke. "It's actually beef brisket." You quietly corrected, everyone looking to you. "I helped cook, I know what's in it." You reasoned. Andre pulled a bone out of his mouth, so small and odd. "Doesn't this look like a finger?" Andre whispered, terrified. "Andre, you're paranoid. It's beef brisket, which is very expensive by the way! Also, that looks to be some sinew that's been clumped up." You explained, Venable looking at you with intrigue. "How can you be so sure!?" Andre snapped. "Because humans have a porky taste, this is very clearly beef. Plus, I told you, Stu ran away." You reassured, everyone shuddering and continuing to eat.

Venable finished her meal, getting up and heading to her room. "Miss (Y/N), I need you to come with me." She called. You were finished with your meal, so you followed after her without hesitation. When Venable saw the paté, her tail began to wag. "You knew!" She squeaked in excitement, her wolven form picking it up and gulping it down. "I wanted to thank you for cooking breakfast. I didn't realize you would do all that for me." She spoke so warmly to you, her eyes filled with contemplation. "I did it because... I like you... A lot." You quietly explained, her tail wagging as she turned to look at you. "You do?" She whispered, ears folded back in slight confusion.

You laughed softly, gently touching her muzzle to bring her to your level. "I do. A lot." Your words made her fur fluff up in excitement, her tail making a mess of her bed sheets. "I should get going before they think you're going to cook me up." You teased, gently kissing her wet nose and walking away. "I'll see you tonight, Ms. Venable." You smiled to her before you closed the door, leaving the werewolf dumbfounded.