SIX.

SPENCER.

i had never seen cassia cry in the month and a half that i had known her. she put on this "tough girl" façade, that i just never saw through, so when she broke down into tears, i didn't know what to do.

"oh my god," i stammered over my own words, "are—are you okay? whats going on?"

a jumbled mess of sobs and incoherent mumbling left her mouth. i didn't know what to do.

so i quickly got out of the car, made her do the same, and then drove us to her home.

 ' , —

cassia's bedroom felt like her personality, hobbies, and interests, all gathered up into one organized mess. her dresser, desk, and vanity was all jumbled together, topped with clutter, but somehow i could tell she knew where everything was.

with a tired sigh, she flung herself onto her bed. she stopped crying mid-way through the drive, and instead leaned her head on the window, looking out at the passing by trees.

"sit up," i spoke after setting my bag down in the corner she set hers.

she did so, rubbing her eyes, smudging her heavy eyeliner and mascara even more than before. i sat down next to her on the edge of her bed, and without missing a beat, engulfed her into a hug.

she tensed up, and i was afraid i had done something wrong. my anxieties where dissolved when she wrapped her arms around my back, squeezing me tightly. i squeezed back.

she pulled away, wiping a stray tear from her cheek. i watched carefully, debating my next words.

with a calm voice, i spoke, "do you mind telling me what happened? you don't have to, whatever you need i can provide."

she then began to explain, after a deep sigh, what transpired throughout the last 2 hours. vivian, the girl i met after the tournament finals, was upset with cassia (for reasons which she wouldn't say). the other event happened when she was leaving the school.

"what a bitch," the words exited my lips before i could catch them and swallow them down.

but then, cassie smiled. and then she laughed, and so did i.

"i never heard you swear before," she giggled.

i rolled my eyes playfully, "dont get too used to it."

a moment of silence passed, both of us lost in thought. she stared at her hands as she messed with the rings on her fingers, and i stared at her.

i want to cheer her up.

and so, without a second thought, i reached for my phone and stood up.

"what are you doing—?"

i smiled and put a finger to her lips as i pressed play on my screen. i set down my phone and held out my hand, beckoning her to take it.

she did.

and so we danced together to no-eyed girl.

 ' , —

"hows your burn?"

"it hurts."