EPILOUGE.

CASSIA.

"and now, a speech from our salutatorian, cassia boyer!" the principal stepped down from the podium, and let me take her place.

i adjusted the mic in front of me, glancing down at the notecards in my hands nervously. i scanned the audience for encouragement, and alas there it was. my aunt, waving a big hello and clapping along with the crowed. next to her sat spencer, giving me a heart with his hands.

suddenly i didn't feel as nervous anymore. in my head, it was just me and spencer in the large stadium. i was just rehearsing my speech one more time.

"you probably want me to talk about prom, and the most you'll get out of me is that you should always reevaluate your friends! that's literally it!" i laughed, trying to regain my composure as quickly as possible, mumbling apologies through my giggles.

"now, i know its really cheesy to say, and i'm sure you're sick an tired of this analogy, but its actually really true about high school being a book—no not part of a book, its a full cover to cover book.

"hear me out, your life is yours. high school isn't just a single chapter of it—its multiple, split up into various parts. maybe a whole chunk of it is missing. your 'chapter one' could really be the slow reel to the end of senior year, maybe the start of the boys varsity volleyball championships that you were somehow dragged into..." i let a moment for the crowed to laugh, scanning the audience for their reactions.

"now, i want everyone in this room to take a moment and think. everyone, not just my classmates in front of me, but also the family and friends here to watch us walk the stage. think of a segment of your life that you think would make a good story. maybe its high school, college, middle, elementary, whatever! or maybe even something else entirely. how would you split that up? how would you write that story into segments for the reader to digest?

"for my example, high school! its not by year, month, or even day. hell, maybe it's not even all in my perspective. it skips around. jumps a week or so. it didn't even start freshman year, it started with a person—and thats all it takes! a moment in your life that you feel starts to change it, thats when a book starts.

"chapters are so versatile, so calling the entire high school experience one is so far from the truth. maybe high school is just a chapter to you, and thats okay! you are the author of your book, you can choose how it's written, but thats just my take on the 'book of life graduation speech' trope.

"another thing, this book doesn't have to end today. you can choose how long you want to stretch this out—but please, for my sake—and others—maybe find a good spot to end it soon. you don't want to be the person who peaked in high school...

"but, all i ask, is you find a way to end it right. now, you may ask, 'cassia, why? why are endings so important?' well, because when you set it up perfectly...

...it can lead to a good sequel."

PASS, SET, SPIKE!mellohiify 2022(p

PASS, SET, SPIKE!
mellohiify 2022
(p.s. they haven't kissed yet, watters. sorry lmao.)