•0•

•zero•

=============
chapter playlist
=============

•brother - needtobreathe and gavin de graw

•somewhere over the rainbow - me first and the gimme gimmes

•the starry night - dylan saunders

"makes one's spirit sour"

years ago

"On the clearest of nights, when the winds of the Etherium were calm and peaceful, the great merchant ships with their cargos of solar crystals felt safe and secure. Little did they know that they were being pursued by..."

The young human turned the book's page in shock.

"Pirates!" He exclaimed.

Despite having read this story a million times, that part still filled him with the same excitement as it did on the first read.

The boy shifted his position, propping the storybook onto his pillow.

"The most notorious and feared of these pirates was the Irken Captain Red. Red vowed to claim the galaxy's riches to restore the fallen Irken Empire."

The page of the book showcased Red ordering his crew to fire on the cargo ship. Those on the opposing side, desperately trying to fight back. But their attempts were unable to stop the pirates from boarding them.

"Red left no survivors. Like a Slaughtering Rat Person overtaking its prey-"

"Dib Membrane!"

The cry of his name and the illumination of his bedroom prompted the boy to shut the book and slide it under his pillow.

His father sighed in disappointment at the sight.
"I thought you had fallen asleep a while ago."

"Sorry Dad, couldn't sleep," Dib hung his head.

"You better not be reading that silly fiction again," his father grumbled.

Dib fearfully shook his head.

"Good. Read that physics book I got for you."

"Sure Dad," Dib answered unenthusiastically.

"Good night, Son," the boy's father turned out his son's light and ventured back to his lab, muttering to himself, "Last thing I need is a child of mine blabbering on about aliens."

Dib sunk, flopping onto the bed and staring up at his ceiling. Above hung a homemade solar system surrounded by multiple spaceships. He sighed. Every time he looked at his decor, he wished he could be up there among the stars.

Away from it all.

His bullies.

School.

His dad.