Episode 7 - Chapter 38: Packing Up

(The Tower's Hospital, Floor 19 - 9:07am...)

"Okay, okay, so," I tried to speak, running a hand over my face with consternation. This is a first, definitely. "Do we have a plan on how to process this?"

"I've got one idea," Brecken reassured me. "We get Zere's research over to Camden's lab and Libby can go there for an MRI scan," A concerned frown. "The only problem is that most of Rais' thugs have relocated to Old Town a couple of days ago and they've found his lab," Oh sh*t! "He's flooded the place with biters and barricaded himself in the middle. Now, he's trapped. Then, the connection failed and we haven't been able to raise him, since,"

"Do you think the connection's working, now?" I asked him, fishing out my radio.

"I wouldn't be so sure," My friend answered solemnly, before perking up. "But if you want to try contacting him, go ahead," Gladly. "Oh! If you don't manage to get through to him, you could radio Dr. Abbas?"

"Who's he?"

"He was the Commissioner of Health," He replied. "Camden hasn't been in contact with him for very long, but he's also been researching the virus with his colleague, Dr. Marlow. She's in New York,"

I raised an eyebrow. Hm, I wonder how they were able to get in touch? "Okay, I'll consider that," I then switched my radio on, just as Melanie darted around the corner to hand Lena the second vial of Libby's blood. "Dr. Camden? Do you copy? It's Crane," Silence. Come on, don't f*ck with me too! "Camden, can you hear me?"

"Crane? Yes, yes, I hear you. What's going on?" Camden's voice came through the other end, much to Brecken's shock. Yes!

"I-I heard that Rais' thugs found your lab a few days ago," I told him. "Are you okay over there?"

The doctor sighed. "I'm trapped, but I'm safe," So, that's a yes. Good to know. "Are you coming my way?"

"That's the plan, doc," I answered politely. "I was also wondering if you could help us out with something?"

"Of course, how can I help?"

"I don't know the best way to process this - but, uh, we've just discovered that one of the kids here is immune to the virus," I begun to explain. "And Lena told me you have an MRI scanner - so, could you perhaps do a scan of her brain to help us figure out how that's possible?"

"Sure, what's this girl's name?"

"Libby,"

"And how old is she?"

"She turned eighteen, twelve days ago,"

"Right, okay," The doctor responded. "I'll start getting everything ready. Bring her and Zere's samples over,"

I grinned. "Awesome! We'll see you soon, doc. Over and out,"

As I switched my radio off and placed it back in my left pant pocket, Brecken sighed with relief. "Glad to know he's still alive,"

"Yeah, me too," I agreed, moments before my brows furrowed. "So, who's gonna tell her what's happening?"

"I will," My friend quickly signed up. "When were you thinking about heading over?"

"Haven't thought about that, yet," I shrugged. Well then, maybe you should get onto that? "Probably sometime this afternoon or first thing tomorrow,"

The Tower's leader gave an understanding nod. "Okay. When you make a decision, let me know - because I know a way you can get in,"

"Yes, boss,"