chapter 11

I tried to walk as calmly as possible, making sure each step seemed as confident as the next, as though I was supposed to be here right now, checking out an old starfighter.

     As I inspected parts of the ship as closely as I knew how, I started a mental list with everything I needed to do. I tried my best to ignore how quickly my heart beat at the thought that I was risking my future as a Jedi, just so I could prove a point. This didn't sound like something I would do. 

     "What are you doing?" Anakin's suspicious tone brought me back to reality, where I was working on the starfighter and not where I was actually supposed to be. 

     "What I've been told." I shrug lightly, keeping my gaze focused on the ship, or the way my hands were shaking while I checked its numerous flaps.

     "I have no idea why, but I have a feeling you're not supposed to be here right now." Just how would he know that? I choose to ignore him, stepping away from the ship and pulling down the ladder, so I could climb in it. Even witout looking at him, I knew that he was watching me with narrowed eyes. "Where are you going?"

     "It's a secret." I whisper loud enough, so he could hear me over the loud noises the droids fixing other ships made. 

     ". . . By yourself?" He cocked an eyebrow, as he tried his best to understand what I was doing and why he wasn't in on it.

     "Yes, Anakin. By myself." I pause, finally looking back towards him. His face was completely unconvinced, but he raised his arms in defeat, muttering a good luck and turning away from me and the ship. 

     I exhaled shakily as I pulled the headset over my head. I was going to do do this. 

     I pulled out of the hangar, pushing a few buttons, so I could get the engines to warm up, so I could jump into hyperspace as soon as possible. As I was distancing myself from the lively traffic of Coruscant, I assured myself that I was doing the right thing. 

     "So. . ." My eyes widened as soon as Anakin's voice sounded out through my headphones. I was praying that I'd imagined it, not wanting to turn my head to see if he was actually next to me. "Where are we going?" 

     "What are you doing?" I was trying my best to keep my cool, but my tone betrayed me, as my voice rose at the end. I heard him laugh, pulling his own starfighter next to mine. 

     "Did you really think I'd let you sneak away by yourself?" I was certain he was smiling, just from the how breathy his words sounded. "Especially since you'd never do this. What's gotten into you, Y/n?" 

     "I've told you, it's a secret. I haven't told you down there, I'm not going to tell you up here, either." He was quiet, trying to read me soundlessly. "Stop it. It's not working." Still, he tried his best to shut up. It worked. . . For two minutes. 

     "At least tell me where we're going?"    

     "Rhelg." I answered calmly, thankful this time I kept how terrified I am about doing this from him.

     "Rhelg?" Anakin exclaimed. "That's a. . ." He trailed off, connecting all the dots. 

     "Yep." I assure him, starting to believe that this actually was an even worse idea than I've thought at first.

     "And you wanted to go alone?" His voice was incrediulous. "You should've told me, Y/n."

     "I didn't want to tell you." I snapped, feeling horrible for keeping this from him. He inhaled sharply through his nose, but I didn't let him start to speak. "Because I knew you'd want to come with me, and, frankly, I don't want you to die because of me."