|| Mateo Sinclair ||

I narrowed my eyes against the bright sun, the shadows of the trees not covering enough to shut the light out. I shot a glance at Cassidy, who was leaning back in her saddle, her stallion calm and steady underneath her. "Who would've known, Cassidy Miller can ride a horse," I smirked. "Do I need to remind you that you've only known me for 7 hours, maybe a little more?" Cassidy casually shot back. "Auch Missy, I thought we bonded." I placed a hand on my heart. "Your words not mine." She said, but I saw the look on her face. The smile on her lips. I felt her calm emotions. I knew she didn't hate me. I knew she didn't hate my presence. It felt good, knowing that I have someone in this lonely existence, even if it's a stranger.

"So what's the plan?" I questioned, stroking the manes of my mare. "Well, even with horses there's no way we can make it to the capital before dark. I'd say we stop at an inn in Gael." Cassidy answered. Gael was a village near the capital. It's known for its beauty and wealth. I've always wanted to go, but my mother thought it was too dangerous because of my gift. "And we discuss our little escape plan there?" I looked at her. She nodded. "There's nothing little about this though, we can still back out if you have doubts." Cassidy looked back at me. 

"I don't have doubts." 
"We could die, Mateo, you know that right?"
"I'm done with the hiding, I want to live." I needed to live. For too long I wanted to die, I wanted to step out of life. But I can't, I need to survive, I need to see what's beyond this. Something in her eyes let me know she felt the same. "Okay." That's all she said, but I didn't mind. I knew she understand. 

We switched between gallops and an easy walk often, making sure the horses wouldn't tire. The sun was slowly going down. Cassidy had closed her eyes, her face turned towards the last glimpse of light. "Happy 24 hours anniversary, I should've brought wine." I broke the silence. A laugh escaped her lips, sounding like a sweet melody to my ears. "I guess we could say we're friends now, instead of strangers." She smiled slightly. Warmth spread through my chest. "Now I can really say we're improving. Friends it is Missy." She rolled her eyes at that. "If you would stop calling me Missy, it would be even better," Cassidy smirked. "I'm never going to stop saying it again." I grinned back at her.  

She jumped off Phoenix, perfectly landing beside the big stallion. I followed, patting Sapphire on her neck. She looked up at the inn in front of us, chattering people walking in and out. "It's crowded," I said, making my way over to her. She turned around, facing me. She lowered her head slightly. "What are you-" But my voice died in my throat when her face started changing. I shot a glance around, hiding her with my body. "Nobody knows you here missy, no need to change your face in public," I grumbled. She chuckled. "Don't worry Sinclair, I know what I'm doing," Cassidy said, her hair shortening to her shoulders, her blue eyes going green. "I'm sure you do." I chuckled. She looked up again. The changes were small, but if I didn't know her real face I wouldn't have recognised her. "You're going to get us killed at some point." I looked at her. She rolled her eyes at me. "And then I'll save our asses again, I said don't worry."

Cassidy hooked our arms together and pulled me inside the inn. She ignored every single person who walked past us, while I said hello to everyone with a small smile. "I think you're the one who's getting us killed with this sunshine behaviour of yours." She murmured. "I'm being polite Cassy, be friendly," I smirked. "Oh, there it is, if it isn't Missy it's Cassy. " She sighed. My smirk grew wider. She managed to get us a room for the night, while I flicked some coins on the counter. The man behind it nodded friendly and led us up some stairs to a room at the end of a hall. 

"Well, this isn't bad at all." Cassy looked around. It was a small room, with a big window, a small table with a mirror, a closet and... One bed. I heard Cassy groan beside me. "Well isn't that something?" I chuckled. "Shut up Sinclair." She sighed, untying her cloak and throwing it off her shoulders. "I'm not sleeping on the floor if that's what you think." I chuckled. She threw her head back. "Well neither am I, so I guess we keep to both of our sides." She said studying me. "Great, now, what's the plan?" 

"We arrive at the capital at midday, until midnight we have the time to figure out the guard's pattern. In the time the guards switch positions, we can run for it." She started, letting herself fall onto a chair. I frowned. "Sounds tricky." I studied her face,  her finger tracing the pattern of the table. "It is tricky, but do we have another option?" Cassy questioned. "How do you want to get the gates open? There's no way we manage to do that in so less time." I started pacing the room. "The gates need to be opened with a rope. If I can transform into a large enough animal I might succeed." She looked up. "Have you done that before?" I asked. New magic was hard to learn, if she used too much energy she could die. 

Luckily, she nodded. "My wolf form is strong and big enough for it." Cassy shrugged casually. I nodded slowly. I've never met someone with a gift before, except for me. I never knew there were gifts like Cassidy had. It was quite admirable, to see what she could do, even though I've only seen the small parts. "Sounds like a plan. So our escape is tomorrow?" I asked. She looked at me, her eyes piercing through mine. "Maybe, we have to see how it goes, maybe we need more time." Cassy shrugged. "Sounds like a plan." I nodded. She smirked. "Sounds like a plan."

Cassy checked her shoulder. "Still hurts?" I questioned, laying down on the bed. "It's fine." She said, fixing her suit. I made room for her to lie down and placed my arms underneath my head. She laid down next to me, making sure there was enough space between us. She was tense. Nervous. I felt it coursing through my body like it was my own. "I'll stay on my side of the bed missy, don't worry." I chuckled. She groaned. "Stop reading my emotions," Cassy said, throwing one of her pillows in my stomach, hard. I laughed. "I can't help it." 

I heard a soft chuckle escaping her lips while she turned her back on me, pulling the blankets to her shoulders. "Sleep well, Sinclair," Cassy said softly. I smiled. "Sweet dreams Missy." I closed my eyes and dozed off, thinking about my upcoming freedom with her.