The Pirate

A wanted poster was slammed down on Tiberius's desk and he flinched, startled by the sudden noise. He slowly raised his eyes to look at the man in his office who had so rudely invaded the silence.

Tall, dark-skinned with an imposing presence. He had been around here before. Usually Tiberius liked him because he spoke only when needed but he was obviously in a bad mood. Police for ten years and yet still let his emotions get the best of him. Tiberius wondered what the world was coming to these days.

"We need you to find him," the man, whose name was Officer Jones, said, leaning back against the far wall while tapping his fingers impatiently.

Tiberius's eyes drifted down to the worn poster now sitting on his desk. "You want me to find you a pirate?" he asked, a little incredulous. "I'm a private detective not a magician."

Officer Jones shrugged. "You're the best. If you can't do it, no one can."

Tiberius thought about it. "True." He studied the poster more carefully. "Christopher Herondale," he said slowly perhaps lingering too long on the feeling of the name in his mouth. "Goes by Kit. Known for embarrassing the nobility and officers of the law. Ah." He understood perfectly now. "It's a matter of pride." He looked up at Officer Jones, focusing on the frayed sleeves of the officer's sleeves.

"Thought you'd find it interesting."

"What?" Tiberius asked, raising an eyebrow and dragging his eyes up to the officer's shoulder. "That you're all fools who can't catch one man. And barely a man at that. He's just a boy."

"So are you," Jones said.

Tiberius scowled. "There's nothing interesting about this man."

"Besides the rumors."

Tiberius narrowed his eyes, looking down at the poster. The boy in the picture looked a little mischievous but that was all. "What rumors?"

"Rumors say he was the one who stole the governor's daughter's... um," he cleared his throat uncomfortably. "... undergarments."

Tiberius considered this. Two months ago, the governor's house had been broken into. With no sign that anyone had been in or out except for the fact the governor's daughter's undergarments had been flung up on the flagpole in the square.

"Fine," Tiberius said, standing up. "Count me as interested. Is that the only rumor?"

Jones shook his head. "No. They also claim he was involved in the Smith scandal. They said he was the one who made sure Mrs. Smith caught her husband cheating."

"All he's doing is revealing secrets and embarrassing those in power." Tiberius started to pace around the room. 'Most likely from a poor family with a hatred for those who have never had to work for anything in their lives. If he's on the sea, I don't see how you expect me to find him." He stopped pacing to look pointedly at Jones.

Jones shrugged. "We don't know. That's your job. All we know in that he needs to be caught before he causes any actual damage."

"Lily!" Kit called from the wheel of the ship. They were sailing the sea and he was annoyed at the fact his hair kept blowing in his face.

"Yes, my ridiculous captain?" the bright-haired woman asked, sprinting toward him. She had dyed her hair a bright blue earlier the week and it still shocked Kit every time he saw her.

"Have you received any kind of interesting news from the mainland? Getting kinda bored." He smirked at her.

She grinned, pulling a rolled-up piece of paper out of the pocket of her trousers. "Actually, yes."