Chapter 23

Atid tried concentrating on his work while waiting for Aroon to return. But it's almost an hour now and there is no signs of Aroon. Atid looks at the clock once again and it's time for the meeting with board of directors. He quickly tidies his desk, dusts the imaginary dust off his clothes and then walks towards the conference room. As he enters the room, he is surprised to see everyone including Aroon already present in the room. He looks at Aroon and he can sense an indifference in his eyes. He tries to read his eyes but he is interrupted by someone calling his name.

"Atid"

Atid turns around to look at Mr.Ananada who is looking at him with a smile.

Atid: Sir

Aroon's dad: Please take a seat next to me Atid.

Atid nods his head and takes the seat next to the CEO. Now Aroon and Atid are sitting on their sides of the CEO.

Aroon's dad: So, let's begin the meeting.

Everyone nods their head.

Aroon's dad: Goodmorning everyone and thank you for attending this meeting at such a short notice. Today I have two important announcements to make. In the last meeting that we had, we have already discussed the change in the leadership that will be taking place this year. Due to some unavoidable circumstances we are going to make those changes starting today. I would formally like to announce my retirement from the post of CEO and chairman of the company.

There are some silent murmurs in the room.

Aroon's dad: I know this is sudden but my health conditions and impending surgery does not allow me the liberty to continue holding these important positions. But I assure you that I am leaving all my responsibilities in capable hands. Aroon, Atid,  please stand up.

Both of them stand up and nods their head acknowledging everyone in the room.

Aroon's dad: Starting today, my son Aroon Ananada will be taking over the position of CEO.

Everyone claps their hands as Aroon looks at them and bows his head in gratitude.

Aroon's dad: And as discussed in our last meeting, Atid Chanthara, the son of my deceased partner and bestfriend Narong Chanthara will be the next Chairman of this company. Atid has already proved his worth as a Chairman candidate in the last one year. He worked in all departments, in different positions to understand the business better. He has also helped to train the new CEO. I am confident that together they will be able to take our company to new heights.

Atid is a bit shocked by the announcement but he does not show it outside. He smiles and thanks everyone for their support. He looks at Aroon but he did not even look at him. He wanted to tell him the truth about his identity before this announcement but this meeting jeprodized his plans. He knew Aroon would be feeling betrayed but he didn't want to cause a scene here. So he decides to talk to him once the meeting is over.

Soon the meeting is over and everyone leaves after congratulating the new chairman and CEO. Only Aroon, Atid and Mr.Ananada is left in the room.

Aroon's dad: Kids, you need to prepare yourself for the press conference today evening.

Aroon/Atid: Okay

Aroon's dad: Then I will leave you guys to discuss your plans for the press conference. I need to go to the hospital for my check up.

Aroon: Okay

Atid: Take care Uncle Ming.

Aroon's dad also leaves the conference room, leaving behind just the two of them. There is an eerie silence in the room as they both stood on opposite sides of the table, looking at everything except each other. Atid finally decides to break the silence.

Atid: Aroon, I..

Aroon: I think we should start discussing about the press conference.

Atid: Aroon, please listen to me. I..

Aroon: Is there anything more you want to say? I have already heard everything from everyone except you. I don't even know who you really are.

Atid: Please Aroon. I am the same Atid you met and fell in love with. It's just that I didn't tell you the complete truth about who I am and my actual role in the company.

Aroon: Was it fun playing secretary to the future CEO while you were actually getting ready to be the chairman. Did you enjoy acting timid and helpless before me while you are actually the most powerful one? Did you enjoy making a fool out of me?

Atid: I didn't make a fool out of you. I...You know if you are pissed because I am becoming the Chairman, I can resign and let you take over. I don't mind working under you.

Aroon: You don't understand, do you? I am not pissed because you are the new chairman. I am pissed because you never told me. I am pissed that you don't trust me enough to share your secret. I am pissed that you don't love me as much as I love you. I...

Aroon let's out a frustrated groan.

Aroon: You know what, let's just end this here. I don't think a relationship without trust is worth fighting for. We can be great working partners from now on and that's all we will be.

Aroon walks out of the room, leaving behind a heartbroken and distraught Atid.