Chapter Six

"How amazing is that?" Pip said, as we walked back to my caravan. "They actually don't hate me! Except for Honey. But still!" She jumped up and clapped her hands and I laughed.

"That's great! I told you they didn't!" And Pip replied to my comment with a slap on my arm. I opened my caravan door, and Pip walked in. I waited for her to get her stuff.

"You know what? I'm feeling a lot better about this Veronica thing. I mean, the fact that she's hardly ever right is really comforting. I never believed in that stuff anyway."

I was glad that I lied to Pip about Veronica. She was much more at ease which made me feel much more at ease. Which was weird, because I don't think anyone else's emotions had effected mine that much before. I guess it was just the anxiety, which could catch on so quickly, like a wildfire. It was good that I gave that diversion.

"Yeah, well, that's good." I said slowly. "Are you ready to go?"

Pip nodded and picked up her costume off the floor, where she'd left it last night. We left the caravan, and walked back to the Big Top. After that, the rest of my morning was boring. Normal. Pip spent it talking to Jimmy, so I spent it helping Ma clean up by myself, sharpening knives by myself, practicing new stunts by myself. The morning was spent all by myself.

Lunch and after lunch weren't that different from my morning. I sat with Ed at lunch, because Pip was too busy talking to Jez. Jimmy and Honey had become a somewhat couple, to Jez's disappointment, so they sat together, giggling and cuddling and the like. So I was sat next to Ed.

"She's absolutely beautiful." He said, talking about his sweetheart. "She's got dark hair and dark eyes. She's absolute perfection."

"She sounds lovely." I said, like I hadn't heard it all before.

"I think I'm going to marry her. I've nearly saved enough- been asking for my pay in coin instead of it going to my clothes and things. I've nearly got enough for a diamond!" He grinned at me, and I smiled back. Even though we all expected it, Ed was planning on leaving us.

"That's great, Ed." I gave him a pat on the back.

"Well, what about you? Pip is pretty, and she seems to like you." He said, and I laughed.

"You're kidding, right?" I laughed again. Ed was insane.

"Mate, I saw her go into your caravan the other morning. And she stayed in there last night too! I see something happening between you two." Ed winked, and I looked at him in disbelief.

"You seriously don't think...Pip and I? Really?" I was shocked. More than shocked. Mortified.

"Jack, all of us know something is happening. Why else would she be in your caravan still?"

"Ed. I can't even start to explain how wrong you are. We're just friends, seriously. How many of you is 'all of us'?" I asked, and Ed just smirked.

"All of us." He said, and I just sat quietly. Everyone here- O'Donovan, Sadie, Binky, everyone- thought Pip and I were together. I was shocked.

"Well," I started. "I'll never like Pip like that. Plus, I've met a girl!" I said, looking at Ed smugly. "She's lovely. Blue eyes. Blonde ringlet hair. Stunning." Ed looked at me, surprised.

"She wouldn't happen to be that Lucy, would she?"

"Lucille."

"That's the one. Well, I'm happy for you, I guess. Good luck convincing everyone that you and Pip aren't, hmm. Up to anything." He stood up with his empty plate, ready to leave lunch.