Chapter Eleven.

I was waiting near the draper’s and when I saw Ed march by, I grabbed her arm and pulled her towards me.

“I’m going to Establishment Day with Callum!” I pronounced giddily.

She beamed back. “I know, girl friend. I saw and heard everything!”

“Ugh, finally!” I proclaimed. “Finally, the plan is complete. Callum asked me to go with him and I can finally stick it to Poppy that I have a date.”

“Well technically, you’re the one that asked him.”

I rolled my eyes. “I didn’t ask him. I just made an insinuation and he affirmed it.”

“Still counts as asking.”

“No, it doesn’t!” I argued. "Whatever. All that matters is that I have a sure date to Establishment Day. Poppy doesn’t need to know exactly how I got it.”

“As long as Callum doesn’t say anything to her,” Ed added, tucking her thumbs through the belt loops of her brown slacks. “Remember you made a deal with that little witch that you two and your dates would get together on Establishment Day.”

My insides bundled up at that. “Oh, don’t remind me of that right now, Eddie!” I whined. “Can’t I have one moment to celebrate a victory? We’ll worry about that later.”

Ed’s lips upturned sideways. “Just a small reminder.”

“I remember, I remember.” I nodded. “Can we celebrate now?”

Ed looked at me in worry for a while, then a slow grin crept across her face. “Well then high five, my sister!”

I grinned and gave her a high five.

*****

Ed and I decided that we would look for a new dress for me in the afternoon, at around 2:30pm. I wanted to look as nice as I could, so I was going to buy whichever dress I liked despite the cost.

Madam Monica treated me to lunch since she was feeling generous, after which I made my way to the clothing shop. On the way, I saw Callum exit Aries pub just up ahead. My face folded in confusion as I wondered what business he would have there. Maybe the owner needed a carpenter.

Callum stood still and lowered his gaze to the side. It seemed he was looking at his ankle. I stepped forward, but halted when a feminine voice shouted, “Out of the way, darling!”

I lifted my head skywards and saw a woman who had her head poking out of the first floor of the pub. In her hands was a basin which no doubt, was filled with water.

Instead of jumping out of the way, Callum dropped to a crouch and seemingly picked up something. He then moved to the side and let the woman splash the water outside.

Curious, I walked towards him and noticed he was cradling something. I tapped his shoulder, causing him to flinch and turn around.

Surprise flashed across his face when he saw me, possibly because of the grin I wore, with my head tilted to the side.

“What have you got there?” I asked, jutting my chin towards his arms. I leaned my head closer and observed the grey furball he cradled. It lifted its head and its big green eyes met mine as it squeaked out a meow.

“Whoa!” I exclaimed in awe.

It was the cutest thing I’d ever seen!

“This is Cheetah,” I heard Callum say as I stroked the kitten’s head. “She belongs to the Knight household, but I have no idea what she’s doing here.”