Prologue

The Firelord sat on his bed in his palace looking at the bright moon in the dark night sky. He thought of the beautiful raven haired girl he loved and missed so dearly. Mai . He thought about her dark hair and how it shined.

Three years.

It has been three years since she left him.

When he saw her for the first time in that time span, his heart found it's missing beat. He had felt nothing but pure awe when he got to see her again. Then it went away.

She was taken.

When Zuko had first met this boy he had helped him save his family.

He felt absolute gratitude, just to find out he had stolen the heart of his love. His soulmate. It didn't take long for that gratitude to turn into pure jealousy. He hoped these 3 years would be temporary and when then found each other again, they could work out their problems and be happy once again. He spent days in denial wondering if this was real. If it was, maybe their relationship was only temporary. Maybe she just needed him to be there for her for just a little bit. She can't possibly be in love, can she?

These thoughts roamed around his mind, slowly driving himself crazy. He thought about the letter he had given her when he ran away to join the Avatar. He thought about how she felt about it and his wave to protect her. He knew it was wrong but he felt that was only thing he could do at the moment. Maybe he's feeling how she felt.

Did she feel this stabbing in the chest?
Did she ever feel like crying over thinking about the simple things they did together?
Was the look in her eyes that day at the Boiling Rock a look of complete loss, betrayal, hurt, and sadness?
Because he felt all of that now.

Zuko was sitting alone in his room, lost in all his thoughts when a sudden knock brought him back to the real world.

"Zuko you in there?" A familiar voice asked.

"Yeah, come in Aang." he responded

"Flameo Hotman." Aang said with a smile He sat on a stool across from Zuko.

"How was your evening date and night stroll with Katara?" Zuko asked.

Aang and Katara had flown to the Fire Nation for a special date Aang had planned. Judging by the look on his face Zuko guessed it went well.

"Well besides multiple people asking for advice, bending tricks, rides on Appa, and random flirting, I'd say it was a beautiful and perfect night." Aang said.

Zuko chuckled a bit then said, "You must really love her if you stood by her side going through all of that on a night that was just for the two of you"

"Zuko you know I love Katara with all my heart. I'll always be happy knowing she's mine and able to be with her." Aang said.

"At least you get to be with the person you love." Zuko muttered.

"Zuko, I'm sure she still loves you." Aang said optimistically.

"She's with another guy Aang!" Zuko suddenly outburst.

"I know how it feels to love someone who doesn't love you back. Katara and I weren't always together." Aang said.

"But you are NOW. And perfectly happy." Zuko said.

"Exactly. Which means love finds a way. Katara always says to never lose hope. There has to be something you can do."

"But what Aang?" Zuko asked flopping onto his back.