pump-king | yeonjun x reader

PAIRING | yeonjun x fem!reader
IDOLS FEATURED | choi yeonjun
WC | 3.7k
GENRE | fluff
WARNINGS | explicit language, marriage proposal
SYNOPSIS | you never thought that carving pumpkins had so many factors, but yeonjun isn't one to joke around about it. he is determined to carve the perfect jack-o-lantern and take the crown title of the 'pump-king' at your local pumpkin carving contest, no matter what it takes.

For as long as you could remember, the title of 'Pump-King' had gone to your neighbor, the absolutely despicable Mr

For as long as you could remember, the title of 'Pump-King' had gone to your neighbor, the absolutely despicable Mr. Yoo. Ever since you were a child, you watched this old, crabby man make an absolute artistic masterpiece of his gourd just to earn some stupid title and make the neighborhood kids cry. Everyone in the area who participated in the contest would try their best to upstage Mr. Yoo, but it seemed like every year he just got better.

It was the year you were in sixth grade that things got personal.

You had never entered the pumpkin carving contest before, as you were too afraid of Mr. Yoo, and you had a crippling fear of losing and failure. But this year, you were determined to win. You had a plan: shaving the skin off of the pumpkin to reveal its yellow flesh to represent the moon, and an intricate carving of a witch on a broomstick in the center. It was a solid plan, for a twelve year old at least. Everything had gone perfectly smoothly, and even Mr. Yoo had started to look nervous as your carving took shape. But just as the clock reached thirty seconds, you got cocky, and the witch fell off her broomstick, the piece of pumpkin falling to the ground, nestling itself between thick blades of dark green grass. Your jaw had dropped to the ground as well, and you almost threw your knife at Mr. Yoo as he chuckled. "Better luck next year, kid," he had said smugly, "looks like even your knife knows I'm the better artist." You had thrown a fit at that, much to his amusement, and your parents had to drag you home and stuff you with candy to make you shut up, although they were quite salty about Mr. Yoo's choice of wording as well.

That was the last straw. You had entered every year ever since then until you left for college, and you had lost to him every single time. And every year he never failed to let you know that he came out on top again, teasingly waving his first place ribbon at you, making you flare up in anger.

It was an extremely sore subject.

This was your first year home for Halloween, as you had graduated college that spring. And this time, you brought home your boyfriend of three years, Yeonjun. He was a cocky guy, but you found it endearing, and your parents adored him. Sometimes, you suspected they liked him more than you, but ultimately, you were very pleased with how well they got along.

You had completely forgotten about the annual contest until your mother brought it up as you three were making kimchi on the kitchen floor, laughing at the old memories. "Remember the last year before you went to college?" your mother asked, chortling at the memory, "you almost socked that old man in the face! Your dad had to drag you away. Just like when you were twelve."