Chapter 4

Since I do not have soccer practice until September I have all of august after school to do what I want. I told my parent that I and Mayte were coming after school to do a school project so they would not be surprised when we came over. 

"Would you like to have any snack when you two get here?" my mom said in Spanish. 

"Yeah, that would find maybe some chip and dip," I told her. My mother like to make sure whoever I invite has something to eat when we get to our house. We are Cuban so it is a part of us to make sure that everyone had something to eat and are very welcoming to them when they come over.  

"Sound good mi Amor hurry before getting late to school," she told me. 

I walk out and had to school and luckily I drive to school so it was not too bad. Once I got to school I met up with my friends that were hanging out near my locker. 

"Hey I heard that you doing your project with that weird girl Mayte" My friend Drake said 

"Yeah I am," I told him 

"Why are you doing it with her"

"Well I have to do a project with someone I'm not going to fail the class," I said trying to get to my locker. I obviously did not tell him the real reason why I really am her parent even if she does not know. 

"We grew up with her and she does not like us or anyone associated with us since we throw food at her and embraces her in front of everyone. I just do not get why she doing with you" He told.

"Well we did not have other people to work with so we did not have any other choice," I said closing my locker. Then the bell rang and we all said by and headed to our first class of the day. 

I went through the day of school waiting for it to end so I and Mayte could hang out. The day just felt so long to me.  At the end of the school, I saw Mayte by my locker waiting for me she was looking at the floor. I went up to her and ask if she was ready to go. 

"Yeah let's go," she said very quietly. 

The both of us both headed out to the parking lot she was walking behind me. I guess she does not what people see we were together but they were when she got into my car. Some people were looking at us but I did not care maybe Mayte did. So as soon we are both in my car I turn it on and head out so she would not feel the attention of everyone for too long. The whole car way to my house neither of us said a word. Once when went inside we headed to the kitchen where my mom was to let her know that we were there. Then we step out to the backyard and started to do our project.