Lost. At Home - Chapter 2

Ever since his mom told him what his name meant [Something shocking or bewildering], Dabwiso had a strong distaste for it. He planned to change it when he turned 18; change it to something a little less damning. Like a Mark or William – names of successful people. He wondered how his birth warranted a name such as that ; failing to understand why his parents gave him that name – as though his birth was one of a miracle – like Jesus'. But not even Jesus was given a name as bad as his. He simply couldn't come to terms with the logic and preferred his last name instead.

The journey west was long and tiring. Firstly, the bus broke down after a tire burst. The mechanics spent the better half of the day replacing the tire. Arriving past midnight, in an unfurnished house, they wrapped themselves in whatever was warm enough and left the next morning's' worries where they belonged. Tomorrow would be about cleaning, unpacking, arranging stuff. Something Dabwiso had found to be dreary and monotonous at this point.

Dabwiso's first day at school was like any other. His mom enrolled him at the lucrative Luena Secondary. Located in the army barracks, it was where Kaoma's finest took their children – rich businessmen, army generals, affluent civil servants and other government elite. And here was Dabwiso Masiliso, the son of a simple nurse in the barracks. His mother went to the same school back in the 70's, when her father was colonel in the army. But the place had changed a great deal since her last visit four decades prior. She was no less a stranger than her kids were. But where was home if not the place that her forefather's built? Where was home if not the soil that her ancestors' remains continued to nourish and bring life to?

Matilda indirectly and maybe unbeknownst to herself even, had raised her son to be a fierce defender of women. Dabwiso was a hardcore feminist and didn't know it. On his second day of school, as the monitor was passing English Language books to the rest of the pupils, he caught a glimpse of the most gorgeous looking girl he'd ever seen. None like the ones he saw through his computer's webcam online. The computer was his Dad's. The only thing he remembers him by. There she was – and in the flesh. Captivated he was. Walking right behind him, he couldn't help but get a feel of her sweet, graceful scent.

Reading exercises psyched Dabwiso more than anything else during English period. It was his chance to flex his literate muscle over everyone else. "Who wants to start reading the story for us today? Ms. Mundia asked. She had an annoying tendency of choosing whoever it was that didn't raise their hand. "Yes, Mayaba, please read the first paragraph for us." The whole class went quiet, as if to create a prelude for a big blunder. Everyone knew Mayaba Nakazwe as the pretty girl, daughter of the OP'S Senior Intelligence Officer – the girl that never uttered a word to anyone unless spoken to first. And even that was just the occasional 'Hi. How are you?"

She began to stutter on just about every word. One sentence in and the whole class burst into hysterics.

"so that's why she doesn't talk much, huh" the class clown commented.

"rich pretty girl can't read, wow" the minions responded as if in unison.

"a si zibi kubala, a mu sibone " the girls at the back shouted.

"Enough okay," Dabwiso banged his hands on the desk in apparent anger and frustration. The whole class shook, as if he'd cast a spell of silence; and no one spoke a word. He marched straight to Mihupulo, and, as if Will Smith to Chris Rock, knocked him out cold. At that point he remembered what fury awaited him from his mother. "Dabwiso, go to the headmaster's office!" Ms Mundia shouted as she rushed over to check on poor Mihupulo; whose left cheek had ballooned.

Mayaba hadn't seen Dabwiso for two weeks since the class incident –when he stood up for her. During that time, Dabwiso was suspended and forced to spend time helping his Mom at the clinic.

"Ehe since you like making people bleed for fun how about you clean that Man's wound over there."

"Mummy, you know that boy was in the wrong."

"And you, the "Hercules" of the day just had to show up neh? And protect the poor damsel. You know I didn't raise you to use your strength to satisfy your fragile ego. You're just like your father with your temper."

These words cut right through Dabwiso's heart. Because he knew they couldn't be any truer. The one thing he inherited from his father just had to be his temperament.

Dabwiso always knew had a hero complex. Maybe it was because he felt like his family's "protector." After all, his Dad did leave his Mom when she was 6 months pregnant with Dina. It was on a Sunday afternoon, Dabwiso and his Mom had just come back from Church. They were welcomed by an army of men clad in Zambia Police uniform at their doorstep. "Mrs Chileshe, we have a warrant to arrest your husband, Peter Chileshe, on a count of bigamy." Surprised, and having never heard that word before she asked the officer to explain. "Madam, your husband has another family in Chinsali, with three children. This is contrary to the Laws of Zambia and he might face up to 25 years in prison." Poor Dabwiso stood in utter confusion as he failed to piece together the officer's words. His Dad wasn't around though. He had gone for one of his work appointments. That was the last time they would hear of him....