Lost. At Home - Chapter 4

It was the first time he had ever been invited to a girl's place. Let alone a girl he felt something for. As he walked through the driveway, he couldn't help but marvel at the elegance of Mayaba's home. A long stretch of polished stones led to the giant fortress that was the Sichamba's residence. In comparison to the government built uniform housing units in the barracks where he lived, this house was grand. As he anxiously knocked on the hard pinewood door, out came Mayaba – elegantly dressed in a purple lilac dress that accentuated her curves in all the right places. As if in a trance, he just stood there.

"You came!" Mayaba elated.

She ushered him in as he swung his head left and right; soaking in the view from behind.

"Daddy, this is Dabwiso Masiliso." She introduced him.

"Young man, how do you do?" A huge towering man, yet borderline obese; Mr Sikazwe spoke in a very assertive tone that seemed to catch Dabwiso off-guard. He was a military man and quickly rose up ranks before retiring for a career in diplomacy. They spent the rest of the day conversing about everything from his school work, career aspirations, sports and current affairs. Dabwiso had never felt someone take such a keen interest in him as a person before. Mr Sikazwe seemed to fill a void that should have been fulfilled years earlier. But alas, he had no father figure in his life.

"Whatever you need help with, boy, don't hesitate. And I mean anything."

He left that day feeling more human than he'd ever felt before. Sadly though, he wished he hadn't been so caught up in talking to Mr. Sikazwe that he didn't spend any time with Mayaba at all. As was her habit whenever her Dad was in the living room, she retired to her room.

"Bye Mayaba, see you on Monday." He said as she closed the door behind him. Pausing, as though to take in the last air of his departed presence, thoughts of his dark, chocolate body on her tan skin ran through her mind at lightning speed. She knew it was wrong to think of him like that, but she couldn't imagine it any other way.

Dabwiso was the right amount of nerdy and cool. He was not too smart as to appear stuck up and not too edgy to not be smart in class. He sort of bridged the gap that many tried but failed. He knew all the lyrics to 'Beautiul girl' by Sean Kingston and also mastered the first 50 elements. There was no one like him. And maybe that's what drew Mayaba to him....

Back home, Dabwiso discovered a note in his back-pocket. It read:

Is love this raging desire to have you by my side and nowhere else? Is it this burning passion that exonerates my innocent, captive heart?

...