Chapter 2

Valentine's Day is right around the corner. Avery marks off the date February 12th on her calendar and jumps into her bed.

She sits there fantasizing about how Valentine's Day will go, hoping that Mason might catch feelings for her as well and ask her to be his Valentine. But Avery knows that it will never happen.

She can only dream.

But her thoughts stop when her mom yells from downstairs, "AVERY! WE ARE GOING AWAY FOR THE WEEK BECAUSE OF VALENTINE'S DAY, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO KEEP THE DOOR LOCKED AND STAY SAFE!"

Why did they have to tell her just now when Avery could've just went to sleep? Well, it is only 6pm. Avery enjoys her sleep and goes to bed early. "Alright Mom! Have fun, love you!" Avery yells a little more softly than her mother did.

"OH AND BY THE WAY, I INVITED YOUR FRIEND MASON OVER SO YOU WON'T BE ALL ALONE!"

"Okay!" She shouts back a little too excited. What if he actually asks her out? No, there's no way.

Her parents leave and Avery isn't in the mood to sleep anymore, so she just goes on her phone, waiting until Mason arrives.

It's getting later and later. She starts to wonder where Mason is. Is he even coming? As the time passes, and Avery is just about to give up on waiting, she receives a notification. It's from him.

-Texting-

Hey
Sorry if I made you wait
Ur mom invited me and she probably told u

Yeah she did
Where are you? Can you make it?

I'm w my friends
I don't think I'll make it
Sorry

Oh...
Ok have fun :)

Bye

-End of Texting-

Avery plops down on her bed letting out a disappointed sigh. She gets up to put her phone on charge and climbs back into her bed.

It takes her a while to fall asleep. She's too busy thinking about Mason, and how he basically ditched her for his friends. But it doesn't matter, Avery knows a simple act won't affect their friendship. But maybe it would affect his feelings towards her, not in the way Avery would like.