not safe

I turn the car engine off, exhausted from my lack of sleep. After I got home at 1, Will came out to me and then we watched movies together. He had a lot of trouble trying to do it, but he handled it very well and I was so proud of him. We stayed up all night to spend time with each other, so I was exhausted, and almost going to skip actually working and go to my room in the lab, but I had much more to do today.

    I also hadn't had any nightmares nor did I see that clock anymore. It was probably just my lack of hydration messing with my mind. It happens a lot to me, actually. But I don't see real things. I just get migraines and the word looks wavy. I guess I just didn't drink enough water recently.

    I sign in at the front desk once I'm inside, swiftly walking through the doors and taking the elevator to the second floor. I go to my room, dropping my purse off and making my bed. I forgot to, I guess. I walk out and turn to my right, tempted to walk into Peter's room.

    I'm standing in front of the door as I take a deep breath in and out. I knock. "Come in," Peter says in a sleepy voice. He lives at the lab, so he's always sleeping here. 

      "Hey," I say, sitting on his bed. He sits up. I guess he didn't wake up yet. 

     "Hey. What's up?" He asks, pushing the covers towards him. He's shirtless. It's kind of satisfying to see that.

     "Listen," I say. "I saw Brenner walk in here yesterday. What happened?"

     "Well," He says, pinching his forehead. "He was just... giving me orders for today."

     I sense he's lying. "Yeah? And what did he say." He goes red.

      "Um, that we'd... Have to help the children with lessons today." He lies.

       I raise my eyebrows. "Is that so?" I scoff. "Anyways, are you ready for today?"

       He sighs, laying back down. "Mentally, no. But man I'm excited to get out."

-

-

-

-

-

    Peter was a really stupid guy if he thought he could lie to me. He must've forgotten that days after lesson days were rest days. Because of this, the kids are playing in the rainbow room. I haven't seen him since I went into his room, so I'm sitting at the chess table by myself waiting for him to show up.

    I sigh, knowing he won't be here any time soon. I think I should occupy myself with something else. I walk over to 011, who is playing with game chips in her hand. 

    "Good morning, 011." I say quietly, taking a seat next to her. She doesn't respond. "Can I tell you a secret?"

     "What is it?" She says, pulling her eyes away from the chips in her hand. 

    "You're my favorite child here." I say, smiling. "And I will really miss you."

    "Where are you going?" She says. I think she's starting to panic.

    "After today, I'm leaving here forever," I say, feeling guilty as I realize I'm leaving her and all the children in this terrible place.

     "Why are you leaving me here?" she asks, starting to tear up.

    "It's not safe here," I swallow. Her eyes widen. "I now realize I'm putting you into danger."   

     "Not safe? Danger?" 

    I sigh, thinking about what I just got myself into. "I'm sorry 011. I'm going to need to speak to you about this later."

    She falls silent, not knowing what to say. I get up and brush my knees off, walking over to the doors. I open them and search every room on the floor for Peter. Was this mf still in his room? I make my way up to the third floor using the elevator, sighing as I step out. I knock on his door for the second time today. And just as before, he says: "Come in."