4

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

summer loving | jeremiah fisher

Had she really just agreed to fake date Jeremiah Fisher, the boy she had been in love with since she was 11 years old, her best friend?!

Maddie could remember the day she realised that she was in love with him so vividly. It was the year she turned 11, Susannah had only recently been getting better after suffering from breast cancer. The kids had all come home from the beach, Conrad and Steven immediately went to play video games, Belly followed suit, hoping to join them. Maddie and Jere went into the kitchen to find Susannah sitting at the bench, her head resting in her hand.

Susannah's hair was cut short, it had been so long prior to her chemo treatment, she had never let it grow past her chin since.

'Hey mum,' Jere smiled, 'You okay?' Maddie stood in the doorframe, not wanting to intrude on the moment.

'Yeah, of course honey!' Susannah replied, with her usual cheery energy.

'Mum you don't have to be okay, you know that right? It's okay to be tired,' he said, going over and hugging her. It was as though he had forgotten Maddie was there, in that moment it was just him and his mum. Jeremiah had always gotten along better with his mum, Conrad was always their dad's favourite, Susannah always had a soft spot for Jere though. She claimed to love them equally, that of which was definitely true, yet she could relate to Jeremiah more.

'I know sweetheart, I'm fine I promise, now go wash up, dinner will be soon,' she insisted, standing up and placing a kiss atop of his head.

'Ok, love you mum,' he nodded, smiling.

At that moment Maddie knew that Jere would do absolutely anything for his mother, something which she admired. She realised on that day that she wanted someone to love her as much as Jeremiah loved his mother, maybe she wished that someone was him.

'Great!' He exclaimed, snapping her back into reality.

'Ok, but if we are going to do this there has to be rules,' Maddie said, using the knowledge she had gained from all the fake dating books she had read. She had never thought that this happened in real life, it was something she had only ever dreamed about.

'Rules?'

'Yes, rules Jere' she sighed, 'the first one should be no falling in love.'

He burst out laughing right there on that couch, and suddenly Maddie wanted to dissolve into the air out of embarrassment.