15. Riches, Close Enough

London 🇬🇧

'Ms Fong, we'd be delighted to offer you an upgrade to first class,' the lady behind the counter types away on the keyboard but her eyes are looking at Wren, expecting a scream. 

Wren's eyes almost pop out in excitement. She has thought she has used up all her luck in life, with all the tragedies coming one after another this tough-ass year. 

When life is at the bottom, the only way is up. She has read this quote somewhere, is this what's happening to her right now?

'It's a weekend flight, not many business customers are flying first class,' the staff explains. 'You look like you can use some relaxation. Just finished your public exam, huh?' The woman's years of serving students flying long-haul to-and-fro London Heathrow tell her just that. 

'Yes, thank you so much,' Wren doesn't know what to say, but her wide smile says it all. 

To be honest, she doesn't know what to expect about first-class seats. She never wonders what's behind the curtain that separates the economy class and the upper classes, and now it feels like she's lifting the veil and jumping straight to the crème de la crème. 

She's so glad the school closes so early that she ends up in the airport five hours before the flight departs. This means she can fully enjoy the first-class lounge, only she has no idea what does that entail. 

More surprises, of course. 

'A glass of champagne to start?' the server at the lounge offers and takes her carry-on. 

Wren sips the bubbles and follows the server, but he just keeps on walking. 'Unless you prefer, first-class passengers don't usually mingle with other lounge users and we tend to lead them straight to the exclusive Concord Room.' 

So there's a more exclusive place within the exclusive lounge? Wren can feel the business lounge customers looking at her up and down, and from afar, she can see the economy passengers queueing outside Pret for food on the concourse just below her. It's unbelievable. She used to be one of them. But now, she's all the way here, going to the chamber of rich secret. 

She is a princess today. No, a girl boss.

She's also surprised by how much she's enjoying it. 

The server opens a pair of large lacquered wood doors and reveals the Concord Room. Everything looks so exquisite. Crystal chandeliers, velvet sofas, and even sculptures and Ming vases. Wren's trying to take in as much as she can with her eyes. 

Someone calls her name, and she doesn't need to turn around to know who that is because her heart has skipped a beat from hearing his buttery voice. 

The server stops his feet and awaits, Wren adjusts her glasses, takes a deep breath and finally turns around. 'Hey Vikram, what a nice surprise!' great composure, well done, Wren. She smiles and Vikram jumps up and gives her a hug. 

'It is indeed, would you like to join me?' His smile is wide and he stands up and offers the seat next to his. Breakfast is immediately served with a generous top-up of champagne. 

Wren suddenly realises she's not dressed for the occasion, although she doesn't know what people wear to their first-class flights really. She has no make-up on and the pink flying pillow is still hanging on her pyjama t-shirt like a rogue backpacker. Luckily, her acnes are calming down after the exams. 

She is totally unprepared for this, the upgrade, the lounge and bumping into her crush. 

Perhaps trying to make Wren more comfortable, Vikram suddenly takes out his well-worn hoodie and puts it over his crisp shirt and suit trousers. 'Feeling chilly,' he says. But this is not possible, London is having a heatwave today.