4.

Shikamaru leaned against the cool glass of the balcony sliding door on a rainy day. In his lap rested Naruto who had his eyes closed and his breathing slowed to indicate he was sleeping. It was one of the coolest days in a long time and everyone got to appreciate it by being sent home. After freshening up they rested here with Shikamaru reading one of their favorite novels. Naruto would comment on any moments he found funny while also falling asleep under the lure of gentle rain and Shikamaru's low voice. The Nara was touched that his voice could lull Naruto to sleep and he spent the time with the blonde asleep in his lap to mull over his thoughts on his slowly increasing heart rate. 

He was sure he liked Naruto, really liked him. How should he approach the Uzumaki when in terms of confessing? He didn't want to spring it on him, he wanted it to be a slow opening up. But Naruto wasn't one for getting subtlety so he knew at some point he was going to have to confess. "You're the idiot here," Shikamaru pouted as he stroked Naruto's cheek. "I can't even confess by normal means since you're so dense."

He took a shuddered breath as he leaned down to gently press his lips to Naruto's forehead. It was feather-light and Shikamaru immediately pulled away from him as the blonde grumbled in his sleep. It was tempting to kiss his mouth but he wouldn't risk it and it felt scummy. So he kept pressing kisses on Naruto's forehead, it was like he was quelling the sudden overflow of emotions he had towards the blonde. Once it was out of his system he leaned back against the glass door and closed his eyes to fall asleep as well.

Naruto's eyes snapped open as soon as Shikamaru's chakra slowed. He touched his forehead where he felt Shikamaru's lips kissing him. He felt the first one but he was still half asleep as Shikamaru kept piling them on how could you not expect him to wake up. He was a shinobi that merged with his Tailed Beast. Things like this we're child's play. He looked up at Shikamaru's face and thought back to the time Temari came to their door.

"You were talking about me weren't you?" Naruto mumbled but then he smiled. "I'm happy."

He turned on his side and hugged Shikamaru's waist before getting up with the both of them. He dragged them into the same futon so they could be comfortable. Naruto was content to hold Shikamaru as the other had buried his face in his chest. He kneaded the back of Shikamaru as he fell back asleep. The rest of the day passed with both males taking comfort in each other's bodies. The feeling of holding onto someone and being held was relatively a desire for both males that were being fulfilled.

Shikamaru was the first to wake up and by then it was supposed to be sunset but the rain was still falling. He couldn't move from Naruto's tight grip on him so he settled for inhaling the blonde's scent. He's hugged Naruto before, plenty of times but this was different. The intimacy he felt made him weak, he purred unconsciously as he leaned up to kiss Naruto on the neck. He pried Naruto's hand off him as he got up to make dinner. In all honesty, he was glad he was moving into Naruto's apartment. He loved his parents and he does intend to take over the clan but he wanted to be on his own for a while and doing it with Naruto seemed like the logical reason. After finishing up dinner he woke the blonde who seemed dazed out of his mind. 

"Come on we haven't eaten all day, you must be starving," Shikamaru coaxed as Naruto pulled him back down into the futon. "Naruto we can't stay in bed all day." 

"Can we play Shogi after dinner?" Naruto had buried his face in Shikamaru's hair. "I want to play Shogi after dinner." 

Shikamaru softened and nodded. "Sure, anything you want."

Naruto smiled and kissed his forehead which caught Shikamaru off guard. "Thanks, always indulging me. Spoiling me really." 

Shikamaru regained his composure even though his face was still pink. "You deserve to be spoiled." 

Naruto finally got up and they made their way around the table while Shikamaru set up another movie to play in the background while they engaged in Shogi and drinking. The rain was seriously picking up but either male saw it as a sign to stay in for tomorrow if it persists and it was the desired alternative to stamping documents. 

The atmosphere was perfect between them and with liquid courage in his system, Shikamaru felt bolder, most times he felt even timider than he did when sober. Naruto didn't seem affected but Shikamaru guessed it was due to the blonde not being completely human anymore. "You always make everything easier," Shikamaru spoke softly, it was a start and he felt this statement was true. Naruto was troublesome but he was the best type of troublesome.

 The troublesome that made Shikamaru want to go the distance without complaint. He always suspected that there was a deeper reason why he wanted to be in the blonde's shadow. He wanted to see the blonde smiling on that faithful day but he wanted to be there, holding Naruto's hand as either his boyfriend, fiance, or husband. Whichever one, he desired more than the shadow of the blonde he originally wanted. He yearned to stand beside Naruto in the light even though he wasn't supposed to want that. 

His eyes blurred with tears as he fully realized that this wasn't a new feeling, this wasn't a new crush. It's always been there, buried under the logical excuses he made for all those years. He closed his eyes as he allowed them to fall, he heard rustling from the blonde who took him in his arms. "It's okay, whatever it is that's got you crying I'll be here for you," Naruto's voice was soft and that caused him to break down as the weight of what he was feeling drowned him. Naruto's heart pained to hear Shikamaru breaking down and what's worse he didn't even know so he could help him. He was only glad Shikamaru trusted him enough to have the mental break in front of him. Naruto endured Shikamaru's nails scratching him, that was the least, he wanted the other to let it all out. 

Shikamaru cried a lot that night and Naruto was there to dry every single tear.