Prologue:

"Dakota! Honey your dad is leaving!" my mother, Eliza, called from the bottom of the stairs. "Lincoln! Give the girl a minute! She's finishing up now!" she yelled out the front door to my dad.

My name is Dakota Meyers, and I am the daughter of Alpha Lincoln Meyers of the Crescent moon pack. I am currently almost sixteen years old and I have a twin brother, Seth. Seth is fourteen minutes older than me and the future Alpha of the pack. Though we get on each other's nerves, he's my best friend. Tonight is a neighboring pack's heir's birthday. It's his coming of age, and all the surrounding packs have been invited in the hope that he will find his mate. My father, my brother and I will make the journey to celebrate tonight. A wolf's coming of age happens when they turn sixteen. The coming of age marks the time when a wolf can find their true mate, though they first shift at fourteen.

I take a final glance in the full length mirror in my room and take in my white strapless, lace dress. My hair is long and a light blonde color, curled in loose ringlets down my back. My make up is very simple, and I tug on my gold sandals. It's the middle of June, so right now it may be warm, but as the night progresses, it will get colder. I throw my denim jacket over my arm and rush down the stairs.

My mom stands at the bottom of the stairs, gently rocking my sleeping baby brother Aidan. Aidan's stole my heart the first time I laid eyes on him. I kiss her cheek and then the top of his head.

"Bye Momma! Love you!" I call as I run down the steps of our house and to my father's SUV.

"Love you too sweetheart! Be good!" I hear her shout back as I reach the driveway. My dad starts slowly backing down the drive as I tug on my locked door handle.

"Daddy! Stop! I'm sorry! Open the door!" The SUV paused, and my dad revved the engine. "Please!" I shrieked laughing. I heard the click of the doors and threw myself into my seat. Pecking his cheek, I said "Thank you daddy."

"You're lucky you're so beautiful, otherwise you'd be staying home and watching Aidan. Put your  seatbelt on." He said chuckling.

"Daddy you know I don't mind watching Aidan! I love that little peanut!" I said smiling brightly. He looked at me in the rearview mirror and shook his head. I laughed, and laid back, laying my head on the headrest. I looked out the window, watching the trees fly  by. My phone buzzed in my lap and I looked down to see a text message from my best friend, Lily. She was Ian, Seth's Beta's, sister. Lily and Ian were already there waiting for us.

 Tonight's going to be great, I thought.

How very wrong I was.

*********************************

Arriving at the party, we jumped out and daddy tossed his keys to the valet, stationed outside the huge estate. An escort led us around the mansion to the back of the house, where the celebration was taking place. When we reached the deck, Daddy took us aside. He kissed my head and ruffled Seth's blonde hair.

His green eyes looked directly into ours, which shared the same vibrant color.

"Dakota be good and listen to your brother. Seth, watch over your sister and keep your link open just in case."

"Daaad" Seth whined.

"Go. Have fun!" He said pushing us down the stairs. Seth took my hand at the bottom and led me to our group of friends. I bounded over to Lily and threw my arms around her from behind. Ian stood with his mate, Zoe, he was a year older than Seth and I, and Lily had already turned sixteen but had not yet found her mate.

Lily and I spoke for a few minutes by ourselves, then turned back to look at the group which was made up of mainly Ian and Seth's friends and their mates.