Chapter 2

I wasn’t sure if I was awake already. How could I not remember my own name, and remember English? This was the thing that bothered me.

“So, did anybody tell you what my name was?” I asked the doctor.

“No,” he said, “Since no one was there with you to tell us.”

“You mean to tell me that I got here alone? You said I had a car accident, right? Which means the car I was using must’ve bumped into some other car, which would also mean that there were other victims. Where are the other victims?”

“The car accident you were in is still being investigated, but if there were any victims, I would say ‘you’. You’re the only victim here.”

As I heard him say that, my heart pounded fast. “Okay…give me a second to understand things, is that fine with you?” He nodded.

So it turns out that I’m actually an amnesiac without anyone to tell me who I am. I don’t know why I know this, but in movies, amnesiacs have to find the truth by themselves. And at the end of those movies, the amnesiac find the truth, but ends up dying. Well, those are movies.

After several minutes of thinking, I asked the doctor.

“So, what am I going to be called now?” I asked him.

“Well, I did give you a name.” He said. “It’s kind of obscure but it’ll fit you just right.”

“What is it then?” The intensity killed my patience.

“Logan Ridge.” he said. “Kinda cool, don’t you think?”

I couldn’t answer straight, because I was still laughing at that time. “Sorry for laughing. But I’m still waiting for it to sink in.” And I continued to laugh.

“I’m starting to wonder why we chose you.” He said, sarcastically, of course.

It was about three in the afternoon. The doctor unlatched the needles placed on the back of my hands. Then he removed the tubes at my nose.

“You’re good enough to walk.” The doctor said. “Actually, you’re too good.”

I got myself out of the bed. I didn’t even try. My whole body felt strong. This was when I realized that the doctor wasn’t kidding around after all. “That M.B.P. really fixed me, huh?”

“Feel free to examine yourself. I know you’re still new to your body. Given the fact that you’re an amnesiac and all.” He said.

“That reminds me. What’s your name, doc?”

“I am Dr. Lance Connors.” He said.

“Lance Connors. Now that’s a cool name!” I said.

I looked at a mirror in the comfort room. I looked good. No blemishes, no pimples, no nothing. The odd part though is that I don’t see any scars. Sure, three months is a long time, but not that long to remove scars.

“What happened to my scars?” I asked Lance when I got out of the comfort room. “You said I didn’t have two arms attached to my shoulders. That means one shoulder should look like shit. Why don’t any of my shoulders look like shit?” I said, “Even though I prefer it that way.”

“The bone replacements not only give you better strengths, they make the healing faster, too.” Lance said. “Isn’t that great? You’re like Wolverine now!”

“Who’s Wolverine?”

“Oh, right. You’re an Amnesiac.” Lance said. “Wolverine is a super hero who has metal for bones, and can control his healing abilities. His real name is James Howlett, but he goes with the name ‘Logan’.”

“Now I see why you named me after him.” I told him. “So I can’t die?”

“Well, we haven’t tested that yet.” Lance said. “But why bother knowing?”

“I dunno.” I said. “It seems very logical for someone who has a control of his healing to ask that, right?”

“You don’t have control over your healing.” Lance said.

“Why can’t I?” I asked

“Because you don’t have to.” Lance said. “The replacements have healing simulators of their own.”

“Damn it! When do I get to wake up from this crazy dream?”