Chapter 3

Lance gave me a few clothes to fit in. He gave me a green, v-neck shirt for the top, black jeans for the bottom, and a pair of slippers. He also gave me an old watch. Old fashioned, to say. It was already four when I looked at the watch. I still had so many questions to ask.

“What happens to me now?” I asked him. “Do I get to see my parents?” It was then that I realized that he didn’t even know who my parents were. “Never mind...”

“You’ll stay with me for awhile.” Lance said. “Here, I already made a copy of the keys to my house. I’ll give you the address later.”

“Wow, thanks dude.” I guess a lot of other people would’ve said the same thing as I did.

“Anyway, I’ll be heading down to the lobby. The other professors will be coming.”

“What other professors?”

“Make sure to stay here, okay Logan?” It seemed that he didn’t hear me, so I just nodded at him as he left the room.

I decided to test my strength after thirty minutes of waiting. I punched the wall to know if I couldn’t feel it. After three punches, I was able to put a crack on the wall. Still, Lance wasn’t there yet. So I tried tackling the wall, and made a big mistake at that time.

There was a large hole on the wall now, and I was at another room. Luckily, the room was empty, and I didn’t feel much at all on that tackle.

Everything felt cool, until Lance came. “What did you do?”

There were a few other people beside him, looking at the large hole I had made.

“Very Impressive.” said one of Lance’s associates. “The project worked!”

“I thought you said the M.B.P. was a secret project?” I asked Lance.

“It is, but not to us co-makers.” He said.

“I thought you were the only one in this secret, Lance. But it looks like I’m wrong.”

“It doesn’t really matter, Logan.” Lance said, “These guys are with us.”

“Yes Logan,” a woman said, “We are the ones who saved you. I’m Samantha Wood, by the way.” She stood near me and tried to shake my hand.

“I don’t think it’s safe for you to shake my hand, Miss Wood.” I told her. She understood me and went back to the group. “Now tell me, out of all the sick people in this hospital, why pick me? I mean, come on! I’m clearly nobody from what Lance has told me.”

The eldest of the group (I think) went in front and said, “What Mister Connors has told you already are simply fractions of what really happened to you. You see Logan; we know what happened to you. Not just fractions of it, but the whole truth. Now if you want, we could tell you everything about it if you do as we tell you, or you could find it out by yourself. Which choice will you take?”

“I’ll go with the first.”

We were already in the lobby when the old man continued. “What do you know so far?”

“Why does it matter?” I asked.

“So that I could tell you what really happened on that account.” The old man said.

“Mr. Fox,” Lance interrupted. “Shouldn’t we let him find it out, himself?”

“No Mr. Connors. The hunters are coming, he must know now.”

“Who’s coming?” I asked.

“Never mind that now. Listen to me, you weren’t in an accident. It was a planned attack.”

I found it hard to understand what the –turning out to be called Mr. Fox- old man said. But I hesitated to ask. “Lance told me the accident is still being investigated. Are you telling me that you already knew about what was going to happen to me, and yet you didn’t do anything about it?” but it was already too late for me to hear an answer to my question. There was a loud noise outside. There were people with guns barging in. I didn’t know what was going on until I realized they were after me.

“Well, well. Look at this doppelganger right here.” A gunman said. And he was pointing something at me, but it wasn’t a gun, it was some kind of radar. “It’s been a long time since we’ve hunted doppelgangers in hospitals. I thought we were clear about the law. The scientists don’t have permission anymore. So take a good look at him, because he’s the last one you’ll ever make!” They started firing, me and Lance started running.