Chapter Seven

Lorenzo, Mila, my father, Vienna and Terrone are all sat around a rounded table, their smiles broadening when they notice our approaching figures. "Niccolo took Heidi to see Miriam..." my mother trails off and I notice her raise her eyebrows suggestively. I get the urge to throw myself in their pool and drown.

"I hope you got her to try her special recipe," Mila says and Nico nods. "How did you find it?" Mila turns to me, and I fear that a plethora of adjectives may just flood out of my mouth to describe the pure deliciousness of the gelato.

"It was amazing... it definitely lived up to Nico's statement of it being the best gelateria in Vernazza. I will certainly be going back," I profess, and everyone seems to be wearing the same smile.

"What are you cooking?" Nico asks and it's then that I realise the flavoursome scent in the air. A cloud of smoke billows out of the barbecue as Lorenzo lifts up the lid.

"We have spiedini with chicken and vegetables, salmon burgers with garlic aioli, sausages, and your mother is making bruschetta," Terrone lists the array of foods and my mouth almost waters at the sight of the yummy goodness laid out.

"It looks delicious," I say as my mother hands me and Nico a drink. "Thank you."

"A pomegranate margarita. This doesn't mean I've forgotten about your little fiasco last night, Heidi," she reminds me, and I refrain from rolling my eyes. I notice Vienna trying to suppress a laugh at my mother's statement. Looking down, I see her hands empty, and I furrow my brows in confusion - my mother is a sucker for holiday drinks.

"Where's your one?" I ask and her mouth moves to speak but she almost becomes tongue-tied. That's odd. "You're not pregnant, are you?" I joke and she seems overcome with anger.

"No, I am not pregnant, thank you. I'm just not in the mood," my mother becomes flustered with her words, and I decide to let the subject go. It's probably best if I do not ask any more questions. Well, if I want to come out of the conversation alive that is.

Taking a sip of the strange concoction, I am filled with delight at the refreshing fruitiness. "Tastes good," I say in props to whoever made them.

I sit down at the rounded table, next to Vienna, just as Nico sits directly opposite me. "Did you have fun together?" Vienna lowers her voice as other conversations flutter between people.

I send her a glare. "Someone could hear you... but, yes, we did," I admit and a smile tugs at her lips. "Stop trying to make it into something that it's not," I warn, and she holds her hands up in innocence.

"This could be your summer of love. It's time to forget about that dick, Ambrose, and to move on, you're more than ready," Vienna says and I nod.

"Trust me, Ambrose is long forgotten. Speaking of which, he called me last night," I tell Vienna all the gossip and her face lights up with shock.

"The audacity!" she raises her voice and heads swivel in her direction. "Sorry... I'm just very passionate when it comes to Heidi's exes," Vienna shrugs and my eyes meet with Nico. He raises his brows in questioning, and I shake my head. He does not need to know even a slither about Ambrose.

"I'm sure you two will make up again, you always do," my mother chimes in and both mine and Vienna's heads snap towards her in complete dismay.

"Not this time! Shame on you, Michelle, if you think that I will ever let Heidi within a meter of that boy ever again," Vienna swears and I want to shrivel up and die. I do not need this right now... or ever for that matter.

"Let's all calm down and focus on the present. Although, I agree with Vienna," my father now speaks on the matter, awarding himself an appreciative smile from his sister-in-law. I swallow a large intake of the pomegranate martini, hoping the alcohol will transport me far away from this conversation.