step two: explain

"I missed him."

"You text him all the time," Yelena reminded her girlfriend, kicking off her shoes and greeting Fanny, "but it was nice meeting everyone, I guess. The Avengers in the flesh. Hello sweet girl, hi."

Fanny panted happily, nuzzling into Yelena's hands as Yelena scratched behind her ears, "Ты не убил Лаки, пока нас не было, молодец." (You didn't kill Lucky while we were gone, good job.)

"Where is Lucky?" Kate asked now, letting her hair out of its ponytail and giving Fanny a quick scratch as well, "I didn't think you'd enjoy meeting Avengers so much."

"It's more fun to analyze than anything," Yelena defended as Fanny walked off, far more interested in resuming her nap on the couch now, "Plus, I got to see their reactions to Natasha. Very enjoyable."

"Mm," Kate grinned as Lucky bounded down the stairs, finally aware of their presence, "Hi buddy," she looked back at Yelena, "It's late, are you gonna shower?"

"Haven't decided," Yelena grabbed a beer out of the fridge, half-tempted to settle on the couch and watch one of Natasha's movies. She discovered that they're actually fun, not that she'd ever tell Natasha that.

"Alright," Kate stood from where she was sat on the stairs greeting Lucky, "Can I talk to you about something?"

"Anything," Yelena replied, taking a sip of her beer, "Unless it has to do with aliens. I don't understand them and don't exactly care to."

Kate scrunched up her face before muttering something that sounded a lot like "not tonight." She continued on, "I wanted to know what your thoughts are on me talking to my mom again."

Yelena stiffened, holding on to the bottle a little tighter and trying to avoid any crude insults, "Why would you want to talk to her again?"

Kate clenched her jaw, half-glaring at the bottle in Yelena's hand, "Are you sober right now?"

"Of course I am," Yelena rolled her shoulders back, adjusting her posture, "It takes more than a couple of beers to get me out."

Kate sighed, "This can wait until morning."

"You started the conversation, might as well finish it," Yelena retorted, tension that had been present since the Fourth of July now hanging in the air again, "C'mon, seriously. Why do you want to talk to her again?"

"She's my mom, Yelena," Kate argued, looking more exhausted by this conversation than Yelena had seen before.

"It's your life, Kate," Yelena deflected, holding her tongue between her teeth in order to stop anything terrible from leaving her lips.

"And you're my girlfriend," Kate replied, "I want to know what your thoughts are."

Yelena sighed, trying to filter through her thoughts and come up with some kind of reasonable answer. She bit her lip, "I don't think it's a good idea."

Kate rolled her eyes and Yelena felt frustration bubble in her chest.

"You told me that you wanted to hear my thoughts!" She exclaimed, putting her drink down and crossing her arms, "She ruined her own life and then carried that on to you. You came out the hero and you've moved so far past her and her irresponsibility, why would you want to go back to that?"

"She's my only living family left!" Kate retorted, "I have my aunt and a couple of uncles, but they're all distant and barely remember my birthday!"