8 - '86 Baby

The night Chrissy died

Y/n POV

I was glad that I went to see the championship game. It was a lot more exciting than I had imagined it would be, and it was great to see Lucas get brought onto the court after one of his team got injured. In literally the last couple of seconds, he scored the winning shot.

There was an eruption of cheering and celebration from everybody watching, including myself, and it felt like a welcome sense of victory after what had been a difficult year for many students.

My mind did wander during the game to what was going on with the Hellfire Club. I wondered whether Dustin and Mike had found a sub for Lucas; I hoped they did for their sakes, but it looked like basically everybody was here watching the championship. God knows who they would've found to step in.

After the game finished, so many people were congratulating Lucas that it was a battle for me to even get over him, but I followed him and the team outside and then went over when there was an opening.

"Hey, Lucas," I called as I walked over to him, and he turned around. "Well done, that was some crazy shit in there!" We both laughed.

"Thanks, y/n," he smiled at me in gratitude. "I saw you watching and I appreciated that you came to see the game. I didn't think you were the type to enjoy basketball."

"I'm not," I chuckled, "but I wanted to show support, I know the game was a big deal for you. Well, for the whole school, really."

"I didn't see the guys, were they-" he cut himself off in the middle of the sentence when we saw the Hellfire club emerging from the school building from a completely different exit to where we had come from the game. Lucas' face fell.

"Dustin and Mike really wanted to come, Lucas. They tried to speak to Eddie, but he was giving them a real hard time about it. He wouldn't postpone," I insisted, seeing that he was upset that they had chosen the club over watching him, despite how he had begged them. He gave a halfhearted smile at me.

"Yeah, well thanks for coming to see me," he said again. He was definitely still just as hurt and angry about it. Right then some of the team came over and grabbed him, pulling him away with them and walking off. Lucas gave me an apologetic look as he went.

I turned my attention to the rest of the guys. They all looked very happy and hyped up, and I had a feeling that meant bad news for Eddie, though he didn't seem all that disheartened. I strolled over to their loud chaotic squabble of conversation.

"You guys beat him, huh?" I inferred as I reached them. My hands were crossed over my chest.

"Hell yeah! Turned out that Vecna, this crazy strong dark wizard, was alive, but we still destroyed him," Dustin declared loudly. I saw that they had found a sub, and she looked very young.