Chapter 8: The Numbers

Ikeep getting knocked out, over and over. This can't be healthy. I came to my senses. Everything in the hospital like room was white. Not like nice, clean white. It was cold. I had wires and needles on my arms and legs. I was alone. There was a window on the door. I tried to look through it, I couldn't see. I tried to get up but I was chained to the chair. I knew I couldn't break them so why try right? A girl screamed in the room next to mine. I panicked, I jerked my arms up and to my amazement, The chains broke. I ran to the window, pulling needles from my skin. Toby's sister was in the room. She had screamed, why? I tapped on the glass, accidently cracking it. My newfound strength was starting to scare me. She saw me and ran to me. The door was unlocked so she came in, crying. She was holding her shoulder. "What happened?" I calmly asked her. "The numbers" she said. She showed me her arm on it was burned 824XII. I looked on my arm. It read 2550III. They must have done it while I was sleeping. I grabbed Hannah's hand and we looked for ways to escape, which isn't the easiest thing to do with a seven year old. Once I found the hallway we started running, glancing in all the dirty windows. We ran by one door, and as I looked through the window I saw Toby. I quickly opened the door and ran to him. He was still sleeping. "Toby!" Hannah yelled "Shh! We have to be quieter." I whispered. I heard someone coming. There was nowhere to hide in the small room. The guard burst in. "The negative, where is it?" he yelled. He looked at my arm and then Hannah's. "Found it sir, XII, the negative." They walked out with her. She was screaming. This woke Toby. "What's going on, she isn't negative is she?" He almost screamed. "That's what they were saying, what happens then?" Toby started running. "They kill negatives!" He yelled. We ran as fast as we could, but the heavy steel door slammed in our faces. We were shouting, screaming and kicking the door. We heard her start screaming, but it was cut off quickly. What had I done?