CHAPTER 3: Same Old, Same Old Part 5

Yani opened the library door and scanned the tables for Charmaine. Charmaine saw her and waved her hand. As she approached Charmaine's table, she recognized the austere figure of Gabriel Ruiz sitting across her friend. She looked around the library, lots of tables were unoccupied. She couldn't figure out why Gabriel of all people would be sitting with her friend so early in the morning. Charmaine gave her a knowing look and signaled her to 'just sit.' Gabriel glanced at Yani, and a smiled politely. Awkward silence followed. Gabriel seemed to notice, he stood up and gathered his things.
"Mauna na ko, andito naman na si Yani."
"Okay." Charmaine said.
Gabriel walked away quietly. Yani mouthed "What was that?" at Charmaine.
Charmaine scribbled a note and handed it to Yani.
"Nanliligaw." it read.
Yani's eyes went wide in disbelief and excitement. She grabbed Charmaine's hand and they ran out of the library. Once outside Yani bombarded Charmaine question after question, giggling in between.
"True?! Kailan pa to? Paano?"
"Tinawagan kita, and you texted back na ngayon ko na lang sabihin sa'yo."
Yani went silent as she remembered her weekend catharsis. However she doesn't have time to be feeling sad and dreary. She is far too worked up for Charmaine right now.
"I didn't know... sorry..?" Yani hugged Charmaine. "Now please fill me in! And Gabriel Ruiz on top of that!?"
Charmaine giggled back.

Apparently it all happened when Charmaine decided to do some research in the library for her upcoming reports before going home last Friday. The 'immovable' Gabriel Ruiz inconspicuously dropped the 'maaari ba akong manligaw sa iyo?' bomb on her.
"Paano niya sinabi??" Yani was curious.
"Well, may introduction.." Charmaine replied. "He told me that I may not know him that much, but he said he'll do his best to prove himself and all that.. He was so polite about it. And I was speechless!"
"Ha ha ha! I cannot imagine!" laughed Yani.
"Pero, uyyy.. I can see it in your face.. kinikilig ka!" Yani teased her friend. "I must admit, if you became a couple, you do look good together."
"I don't know.. let's see..." Charmaine's face was red with embarrassment.
"Of all people, si Mr. Sunget pa talaga Cha!"
"Oo nga, naalala mo ba nung nakasabayan natin siya sa bus noon, that we even went to great lengths to just sit beside him to say 'hi' tapos dedma lang siya?"
"Oo, I remember that." Yani remembers the scene. She was the instigator to move seats just to greet him as they were both in a goofy mood that day. But then of course Gabriel just sat there like a rock not minding them at all.
"Hayyy..buhay nga naman.." Yani sighed. "You never know what's going to happen next.."