Prologue

Thunder bay was a peaceful city, the weather was good, the people that lived there were nice and everyone got along with each other. Well... except for me. I lived by myself, near the bell tower. It wasn't bad, but I would rather have died than stay one more day in this city. I used to think like that, but everything changed after that night.

It was the day of the devil's night, the one night of the year that all the peace vanished, all because of the horsemen, not the original ones of course, but their children. They had grown up listening to their parents' stories of the golden days, so they decided they would do the same, all the pranks, all the parties and all the chaos.

Thankfully, I used to live in the part of the city where they wouldn't come a foot near, but that night I was out, I was at the gazebo reading. It was quiet. Too quiet to be honest. When I saw shadows behind me, there were two boys that I couldn't recognize because of their masks but I knew those boys weren't part of the group. I used to spend most of my days observing them and I could say I knew them well enough to be afraid of what those strangers were doing there, and I knew what I had to do.

So, I started running, screaming at the top of my lungs, hoping that someone could hear me, but I was not fast enough, the boys reached me, and I was trapped. One of them was holding me down on the ground and the other was standing near recording everything. The only thing I could do was scream and cry. The guy's face was too close to mine, if it wouldn't have been for the mask, he would have been almost kissing me. I tried to kick him off me, but he was too heavy. I had already lost my hope, when I heard a car stopping near and someone screaming at them to stop, I didn't know who it was, but it was powerful enough to provoke fear in them.

Next thing I knew Ivarsen Torrance was by my side, he was asking questions, making sure that I wasn't hurt, but I was too scared to answer correctly without bursting into tears. He picked me up in his arms and took me to the car, where he opened the passenger door and sat down with me in his lap. Not letting go of me at any moment, he said something to one of his brothers and they drove off somewhere. At some point I fell asleep but the last words I heard Ivarsen say to me were that he would protect me till the end of times. Yep, maybe life was right, and I could see now, every cloud has a silver lining.