Prologue

For hundreds of years, a war has been raging. Now that I think about it, there are two wars. First, there is the mutant war. At one point in time, the four clans had lived peacefully. The cause of the war is unclear. Each side of the war believes something different. One side believes that the war started when a northern clan prince was brutally murdered by a southern clan member, who then committed suicide. The other side believes that the northern prince had attacked the southern member after they both fell for the same northern girl. It was then said that the northern clan's secret police killed the northern prince and the southern member and took the northern girl prisoner, wiping her memory before releasing her. No one alive today knows the true story, only what we read in our clan's ancient history books. As for me, I used to believe my clan's side of the story wholeheartedly.

When I was thirteen, my parents both died in a brutal battle. No one was able to tell me if it was in the mutant war, or the second one, the human war. Us mutants used to be human, a long time ago. Then one day, a mysterious power force consumed a small part of the planet. It didn't kill anyone, but that power source was absorbed by the people living there, which gave them powers and turned them into mutants. The humans fear us, and they try everything in their power to destroy us. After my parent's death, something changed in me. I went from a naive and happy little girl into a serious and dangerous member of the NESP, our northern and eastern secret police. After the mutant war started, the four clans split into two alliances. North and East teamed up, while the West teamed up with the South. My clan is the North. After my parents died, I was elected as one of the clan leaders. I admit, it felt good to follow in their footsteps. But there was a part of me that felt hollow and empty. I never let anyone get too close to me, so needless to say I live a pretty lonely life. I dedicated my life to bringing honor to my clan. Every time loneliness came to my mind, I pushed it away, thinking about bringing honor to my family and clan.

I never made time for anything else. And as a clan leader, I've had a lot of responsibility on me. I've been one of four people that the NEA(Northern Eastern Alliance) has looked up to. And each clan has three main rules. Breaking any one of them results in exile, or sometimes even death. The three rules are 1)no disrespecting your clan leaders, 2) no harming anyone in your clan or alliance, and 3) no one is allowed to marry or get romantically involved with a human or any mutant from the rival clan. There are many other minor rules, but it would take too long to list them all. As a clan leader, I am here to make sure everyone obeys the law. Although, lately something has been on my mind. If I can't obey the law myself, then how can I make sure others do?