Chapter Seven

Haradursson is leading me to the terminal where my passengers and crew are lodged when we meet Bryan looking for me. The Assistant leaves us for the moment.

"It's a ludicrous idea!" Bryan is astonished when I tell him about Eybergsson's proposal. "I was flying it when everything crashed and I really thought we were all going to die! Things may not be great here but at least we're on solid ground! One of the airport staff told me they were going to drive one of the buses to Reykjavik and contact the authorities there to arrange more supplies or organise an evacuation convoy-"

"And after what you saw of Reykjavik, what hope do you think they have?" I cut him off brusquely, bringing an awkward pause to our conversation.

I continue. "Under normal circumstances I wouldn't even consider it, but he's got a point. This place is out on a limb and although it's got geothermal power and heating for the time being we can't count on being fed for more than a day or so. If - when - things begin to break down I don't want to be around. Look, I'm not going to force anyone to fly with me - passengers or crew - but I want to be prepared for any contingency."

"What if the engineers decide we can fly?" Replies Bryan. "What then? Is he going to use it as an excuse to kick us out of here."

"He might; but then he's not being exactly hospitable at the moment, is he? If the world is collapsing around us, wouldn't you rather try to make it back home?"

"Obviously yes; but are things really that bad? We've had some widespread problems, but wouldn't it be better to wait it out here and find out for certain before we decide to lift in a dodgy blimp which might stone on us at any moment?"

"From what I heard from their improvised radio shack, things have got that bad already. There were only a few messages, but the fact there were only a few speaks volumes. If things are going to be OK then why don't you try to call your wife on your wristband now?"

"Because the grid is down!"

"Exactly! But it shouldn't be! This was never supposed to happen! All of the multiple redundancy nodes are offline; what does that tell you? I don't want to abandon hope but we have to face facts; we're in it up to our necks but most people just haven't realised how bad things really are yet!" I can see the realisation getting through to Bryan. "All I'm asking you to do is to supervise the engineers and make sure that they don't pull a fast one on us. I trust your opinion. If you say it's too dangerous to fly then we stay grounded. Just give me your honest views and I'll take heed of them. You can't object to that!"

"No. At least it'll decide the issue one way or the other!"

"Good! I'll get you taken over to the Albatross. Do you know where the rest of our people are?"

"They've all been put in one of the departure halls for the moment. Gloria and the stews are with them but all they have are a blanket and crash pad to each person, and they had to push for those. They're supposed to be feeding them soon, but there's been no sign of anything yet. They've taken Romas over to the medical facility where he's being assessed; I left him in the care of the professionals, then came looking for you. I don't know any more about his condition at present."

"Right: I'm going to find Gloria and update her in private. Apart from us - along with Eybergsson and Haradursson, as well as the technicians - no one else knows and I want to keep it that way in case we get a few extra unwelcome passengers wanting to leave. Haradursson is going to arrange your transport to the hanger. Get back to me as soon as you're able to come to a decision regarding our flightworthiness or in two hours, whichever the sooner."

"OK."

He leaves to find a passenger information desk in order to page the Assistant Director. Bryan's a good man; someone who will unapologetically speak his mind to you but still loyally do the right thing as long as it is the right thing to be doing. The sort of person you'd want backing you up in a crisis. I'm glad he's part of my crew because the more I see, the more convinced I am that this is a full-blown crisis which is spiralling into a catastrophe.