𝟔𝟒

CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR

ministry disguises

CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR☼▕  ministry disguises ▏

. . .

September had done nothing but greet the four with a big slap in the face. They all were crowding around the stolen Daily Prophet newspaper Harry had acquired in shock.

A large picture of a familiar, hook-nosed, black-haired man stared up at them all, beneath a headline that read:

SEVERUS SNAPE CONFIRMED AS HOGWARTS HEADMASTER

"What the hell?" Anastasia gaped.

"No!" said Ron and Hermione loudly.

Hermione was quickest; she snatched up the newspaper and began to read the accompanying story out loud." Severus Snape, long-standing Potions master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and wizardry, was today appointed headmaster in the most important of several staffing changes at the ancient school. Following the resignation of the previous Muggle Studies teacher, Alecto Carrow will take over the post while her brother, Amycus, fills the position of Defense Against the Dark Arts professor."

" 'I welcome the opportunity to uphold our finest Wizarding traditions and values –' Like committing murder and cutting off people's ears, I suppose! Snape, headmaster! Snape in Dumbledore's study – Merlin's pants!" she shrieked, making both Harry and Ron jump. She leaped up from the table and hurtled from the room, shouting as she went, "I'll be back in a minute!"

Anastasia rose her brows shockingly at Hermione's outburst before looking at her other two best friends.

" 'Merlin's pants'?" repeated Ron, looking amused. "She must be upset." He pulled the newspaper toward him and perused the article about Snape. "The other teachers won't stand for this, McGonagall and Flitwick and Sprout all know the truth, they know how Dumbledore died. They won't accept Snape as headmaster. And who are these Carrows?"

"Death Eaters," said Harry. "There are pictures of them inside. They were at the top of the tower when Snape killed Dumbledore, so it's all friends together. And," Harry went on bitterly, drawing up a chair, "I can't see that the other teachers have got any choice but to stay. If the Ministry and Voldemort are behind Snape it'll be a choice between staying and teaching or a nice few years in Azkaban – and that's if they're lucky. I reckon they'll stay to try and protect the students."

Anastasia suddenly felt nauseous. "There's no way they're going to get a proper education while a bunch of Death Eaters are teachers. They've probably come up with some sick and twisted curriculum on how to Crucio each other." She shuddered thinking about her sister's friends and Eliza's friends at Hogwarts right now.

Harry and Ron stared at her blankly as she continued.

"I mean you don't think my dads would send Victoria out there, would they? What about Eliza and Ginny?"