Pilot - Part 1

(3rd Person POV)

The Woods family, including Carter, and his two kids, Hayley the oldest and Alex, the youngest had not been the same since the lose of their wife and mother Ryan. She was flying into space and her spaceship exploded as it took off. It had been eight months and Alex was hyper focused on getting accepted into the Greenhouse Academy, the same school his mother graduated from, everything Alex did pissed Hayley off and their dad was grieving and took his wife's death very hard. The night before Alex was to try out for the Greenhouse he was in his driveway shooting hoops like he always had, while his sister Hayley was upstairs in her room, listing to music with her friends Owen and Meredith. Hayley got fed up with the noise from outside her window so in between songs she screamed out of her second story window, 

"Stop it with the banging already! Unbelievable." Hayley said throwing a tennis racket she had been using as an air guitar across the room to her bed. "My brothers wasting his time trying to get a stupid ball into a stupid hoop. All so he can get accepted to some leadership school."

"Greenhouse?" Meredith asked, typing on her phone.

"It's a brainwash factory." Owen added.

"But don't tell him that." Hayley said annoyed. "He doing this in honor of Mom."

"Who cares if Alex gets in to the Greenhouse." Meredith said looking up from her phone. "Besides, tear down the wall between your bedrooms, make yourself a luxury suite." 

"That's not a bad idea Mer." Hayley said, picturing it in her head. 

"Of course." Meredith said smiling to herself. "Don't forget to name the suite after me though." 

"We could put the bed over there, chill out zone over here." Hayley said pointing around her room. She happily got up from the bed next to Meredith and walked back over to the window and yelled, "Alex I changed my mind! Keep practicing." After Hayley went back to lay on the bed next to her friend, one of Alex's shots then bounced of the top of the back board, flew through Hayleys open bedroom window and fell on top of her record player. When Alex went up to Hayleys room to get his ball, he walked into a room with his fuming sister.

"That was a limited addition of the Dark Side from 1973 you can't get that anywhere else!" Hayley screamed at her brother.

"Maybe the only one who listens to this crap!" Alex screamed back.

"Oh keep your cool Alex a leader needs to keep his cool huh!" Hayley yelled sarcastically, referring to the Greenhouse.

"You know I'm glad Mom isn't around to see you and your lazy friends doing nothing, nothing with your lives!" Alex said just trying to leave the conversation.

"Stop bringing Mom into everything!" Hayley continues to scream.

"That's enough!" Their dad Carter yells from the doorway of Hayleys room, before storming off the other direction.

"Good job." Alex said coldly. He grabbed his ball from the floor and went back outside.

—————

The next morning Alex was up early, and ready to walk out the door, while his sister and Dad, were not.

"Has anyone seen my number two pencil!" Alex called, digging through the drawers of their house. Hayley shook her head no, scrolling on her phone, eating cereal still in her pajamas. Alex checked his watch before saying, "Dad we should leave now!"

"Not going to happen Alex, he's still in bed." Hayley said from the dinning room table.

"What do you mean we're supposed to be leaving!" Alex said still looking for a pencil. Their dad came hobbling down the stairs in stained sweats looking like he hadn't slept in days, though he just woke up.