Chapter 2

Chapter 2

As the time passed, my eldest siblings had been almost done with, well . . . whatever it was they were doing. When I asked Jonathan when he was done, he said that it was the doctor striping us down to our underwear and touching us. But when Josh heard that, he punched Jonathan in the arm. After Josh came back, he assured me that it was just a little test with a couple shots in the arm with needles. That helped me breathe a little easier.

As each of us took a couple minutes to do their health test, we celebrated Jonathan and Josh. Jonathan got a big heaping pile of eggs with lots of bacon, more or less explaining where he gets all his protein from. Greg had gotten a little bit of everything, pancakes, eggs, bacon, and a couple slices of toast with a butter spread. We had spent more time eating than talking, for as soon as Mom finished with the test, the doctor whipped away Josh, then when he returned, Margaret was pulled away. Mom seemed upset by it, as I noticed her pouring something into her coffee cup, and she was constantly turning and whipping her eyes. I get the feeling today is going to be one of her "bad days". To distract herself, she made up some plates for the soldiers, more or less pleading with them to eat. Sergeant Fallon seemed turned off by the desperation Mom gave off, but she and the Captain reluctantly ate some eggs and bacon.

Speaking of those two, before Mom propositioned the soldiers with food, they had gone around the rooms, searching the house. I don't know what they could've been looking for, maybe it was to make sure there were no drugs or something in our possession. When I asked Captain Fallon about why they were here, he said that "that information was classified". I decided to not argue with him, suspecting he'd sooner shoot than tell.

Dr. Greene came back with Margaret soon after I had retired from the 'celebration' to the living room, watching the news. "Okay," Dr. Greene said. "You next, son." He gestured for me to follow him towards my dad's study. I felt an uneasy feeling as I passed through the double doors.

As I followed him, I could distinctly hear the doctor muttering to himself in unfinished sentences, something about "no immune" and "safe zone". I tried asking him what he said, if he was talking to me, but he brushed it off, as if he had said nothing. None of my business, I suppose. Why you'd mumble about it though, I'd have no idea.

Dr. Greene stopped at Dad's desk, a thin layer of dust still encasing it in the past. He turned to a small case he'd brought with him, then pulled a clean syringe out. On the table beside the case sat a pair of bottles, both looking perfectly identical.

"Once you take a seat, we'll get started." He stated, motioning to the swivel chair he'd pulled out from behind the desk. As I laid my back against the smooth leather, chills and goosebumps ran up my arms and neck. The room screamed 'get out', but what could I do? I had to sit here in my dad's private study and take this 'health test' thing.

Dr. Greene plunged the needle of the syringe into the open bottle on the left, taking in a bit of brownish-green liquid.

"What is that?" I asked him.

He turned to me. "Nothing you'll need to worry about; I got my bets set on you being like your mother and older siblings." He rolled up the sleeve on my left arm and rubbed it down with something that numbed me.

"Will this hurt?" I asked squeamishly. I wasn't that scared of needles, but the room was affecting me. I just want to get out.

"Only for a moment, I promise. Then after about ten minutes, I'll give you a second shot, then we'll be all done." the man tried reassuring me, he really did. But the way the shadows moved and shifted in the light of the desklamp . . . the lingering flavors of breakfast tasted of ash on my tongue. "Are you ready?"