Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Dropping into the elevator after helping John onto Luke and Destiny's shoulders, Garry and Celina had already gotten out. The gap was wide enough, but incredibly short. I took off my pack, undid my vest, then stuffed my things into the bag. I started pushing it out the gap, feeling Celina pull it through.

"Look on the brightside," Celina said, tossing my bag aside, "you'll have someone to help keep you from falling down the pit into the basement. Garry almost dropped, but I helped him swing out."

She offered her hands, before quickly grabbing hold of mine. As I slid out, I got a look at the first floor; it was just as bad, if not worse, than the second floor. Blood painted the floor and walls, bodies were piled on top of each other. Up the entire hall towards the office at the other end was a complete and utter bloodbath. As my feet touched the floor, they squeaked in drying scarlet liquid. As Celina began helping Riley through, I acquired my pack, refitting the vest and holster.

After the second girl joined us, it was easier pulling the heavy John out, then helping Beth with her leg. Luke hopped down next, followed quickly by Destiny. We all recollected our bags and gear, moving forward carefully. John was carried over Riley's and my shoulders, making me glad he didn't have the vest. Beth walked beside Destiny, who helped her stay sturdy. Celina, Gary, and Luke escorted us, Celina locking doors we passed. Some had Infected inside, but Celina just closed the doors quickly, then using Destiny's keys to keep them shut.

As we walked forward, we came to hear more of them up ahead, just around the corner. Garry traded places with Riley, sending her and Luke forward to check. We stopped short of the cafeteria door, waiting for the pair.

Riley and Luke returned, a worried look on the mute's face. Riley muttered, "Gotta be like thirty, maybe more. Like everyone down that hall died and decided to wait in the hallway. Shall we move to the cafeteria? Let's just remember to stay quiet."

"We're so close . . ." Destiny muttered behind us, "I can't wait to go home. Dad's probably losing his mind!"

Riley pushed open the door, her knife out. She peeked around for a moment, then waved her hand for us to follow. The rest of us quietly rushed in, closing the door behind us. As we took a moment, I took in the room we entered. It was the kitchen, or at least the counter where they'd ring up the food we pick up for lunch. Plastic trays littered the floor and counter, and metal bins were scattered about. They must've been preparing for sixth grade lunch when everything happened.

"Well, we're basically here. Are we supposed to wait?" Garry sighed, carefully stepping over the trays to get behind the counter.

"I suppose so," Celina popped her lips, following after him, "They did say to come to the cafeteria, then they'd check us over or something."

I helped John past the trays, then followed the others towards the cafeteria. We waited a moment as Riley poked her head through the door into the cafeteria proper. She poked her head in a second, then quickly came back out, trying to rush us back.

"No, not there! No one who will help us is in there!" she hissed, making the rest of us push back to the first door. "Everyone in there is dead, or limping around, or eating people on the ground."

I peeked around her, Celina, and Garry, eyeing the door. "Can I see? Maybe we can take them."

She shook her head, helping John's arm over her shoulder. "Go for it, but there's about as many as there were in the hallway."

Losing John's weight, I snuck over to the door, careful not to kick any trays. I pushed the door open slightly, peeking through. Sure as today is bloody, Riley was right. Nearly three dozen Infected wandered the room. I noticed one with a policeman's uniform hunched over a dead soldier not more than three yards from where I knelt. From behind, I could see bullet holes in the officer's back, trailing blood down his jacket. An empty holster hung loosely at his side as he dug into the soldier's body.