Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Garry and I pushed through the flaps, further entering the tent. Bonnie seemed . . . annoyed, maybe, to see us; Logan, on the other hand, couldn't seem to stay still. He jumped up from the bed, quickly scooping the pair of us into a hug.

"Guys! I'm so glad you're okay! I wasn't sure we'd ever see you again!" The blond boy tightened his hold on us, nearly popping my lungs.

"Good t-to see you . . . too!" I gasped out. I managed to catch a smile from Bonnie, but as soon as it showed, it disappeared.

"P-Please . . . can't . . . breathe!" Garry managed to say. The taller boy quickly released us, a look of embarrassment on his face. Garry and I took the opportunity to catch our breath. It's been a very long time since Logan last hugged me. I completely forgot he can empty your lungs in a second with a hug. He's stronger than he looks.

"S-Sorry, I just . . . I haven't seen either of you all day. I didn't know if you were . . . Garry, what happened to your face?? Jacob, your neck!"

"It's a long story, but we're okay, Logan. Just . . . had a couple close calls." I panted. My hand drifted to the bandaging on my bite, tenderly running over the mesh. I should think about asking Bonsall for help hiding it.

The boy sat on his bunk, the color quickly fading from his face. He looked back at us, "What about the others? Riley, John, are they . . ?"

I felt my legs wobble beneath me. I looked at Garry, who noticed, quickly helping me to the bunk next to Logan. As soon as I was sitting, I gripped the bunk support, feeling everything flooding my head. His face . . . when it wasn't his . . .

"Jacob?" Logan rested his hand on my back, "Are you okay?"

Garry sighed, taking their attention away from me as I tried to calm down. "Riley's okay, but John . . . he didn't make it. We had to stop him . . ."

Logan mumbled softly, "Oh . . . I'm . . . I didn't mean to-"

"No, it's okay. It's just, it happened before we came out here. Like, right before we got out." Garry stated, leaning against the bunk. "He was sick, then he died, and he . . ." He sighed deeply. "Jacob saved Celina Beauregard from him. He grabbed her, and he was going to hurt her, but Jacob pulled her away. He . . . had to do it, and it's just been really hard . . . for all of us."

Logan was quiet. He tried to say something, but he couldn't. He pulled his hand away from me, followed by a shift of the bunk. As I looked up, Logan appeared in front of me, wrapping his arms around me. I could feel him jump a little with each breath he took. Was he really sad to hear John, the boy who almost handed him over to Hardin, was gone? Or was this just for me? A way to make me feel less . . . alone. My thoughts quickly faded with the warmth of his hug. My eyes watered as I dropped my head to his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, I know you two were really good friends." he whispered to me, "If you need anything -- to talk, or just someone to listen -- just let me know, okay?"

I nodded into his shoulder, feeling his shirt get wet from my tears. "Sorry, I didn't mean to cry."

"You're only human, Jake. I know you needed it." he mumbled. Hearing Garry cough a little, Logan's hold loosened, and he sat back down on the bunk.

"What about you two? How'd you get out?" I asked, my nerves being soothed.

"Well, Logan here got to witness the Infected getting in through the office. Mrs. Elkridge sent him and some others to alert the police and go door to door, letting everyone know what was happening. A bunch of us were getting attacked in the halls, and I was helping the Chase's get down the stairwell when Logan got a little too close." Bonnie said, nodding to the other boy. "Then, Quin just pulled this fire axe out of an emergency box and killed it! No hesitation, just . . ."